Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Genesis 1 RGB to VGA Options/Issues ( Pics !! )

Enlightenment ASSEMbler Soldier

Well I only did that on the Saturn so I wouldn't know.

1HCg6o6zJkxtjNfyzGHtwZbXgCC7Kdf231

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Hsync is open drain, Vsync is probably open drain too, so you need a bit of extra magic for it to work.
    When you stress Hsync you'll mess up VDP operation aswell
    OK... so, in English.. What exactly do I need to do to get this setup working... heres what I have:

1. Sega Genesis Model 1 ( Several units )
    2. CGA EGA etc. to VGA Scaler board.
    3. Modern LCD monitors/TVs.
    4. Soldering and access to electronics.

Please, if you or anyone here knows a working setup/diagram, instructions I would dearly appreciated it.

P.S. I am not lazy here The reason I am requesting it like that is because I have researched and researched forever and already made every possible combination of wiring I can find/think of without much luck... The scaler and the MD/genesis are working I have tested just not working together for some reason ...

Help !!

ASSEMbler Elite

You probably won't be able to do that. RGB from Genesis doesn't follow CGA or EGA specifications.

Even if the resolution is supported, your idea would still require a sync splitter. Geneis outputs sync together on one line. CGA/EGA/VGA however use separate pins for horizontal and vertical sync.
    Last edited by Lum; 05-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    What hes posted is tried and tested. It will work fine.

Guide is here:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/rgb2vga.htm

You just need a console that outputs RGB, which you have.
    Last edited by Bad_Ad84; 05-07-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
    What hes posted is tried and tested. It will work fine.

Guide is here:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/rgb2vga.htm

You just need a console that outputs RGB, which you have.

Your link was the most helpful since I got it last year :) ... That site is nicely put together and it addesses my issue directly.
    My only problem is a slight confusion on the synce stripper circuit... for some reason I can't really follow though the wiring with confidence. I wished there was a picture of the circuit board traces and connections from below... Or maybe a schetch showing the RGB Gr and S out of the DIN port and into the board and then the output to the scaler.

Any idea or source for such diagram ?

Thanks again !

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    I pointed you to that link last year. Check post #3

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
    I have that same board. Its probably because you have not sorted the sync out.

There is a guide on mmmonkey.co.uk that covers what you need. Look in top right of web page. Im not at a pc right now, so can't directly link you

Cant help you with the wiring... the diagram is pretty simple. If you have any specific parts you are stuck on, just say which pin you are stuck on and I will let you know where its supposed to go.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

You may need to get into the CVGA board menu options and change output settings.

I have a CVGA and Sync Strike, which works really well with my Multi-Mega and 38" Samsung. At first it didn't show anything on the screen, because my Samsung wasn't accepting the input range. I can't remember exactly what, I think I had to change the output from 640x480 to 320x240 or something?

Anyway, looks ace when done! http://megadrive.me/2011/12/11/scanlines/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12