Thread: Best SNES flash cart?

Conscript

Best SNES flash cart?

Hey all,

I'll be in the market (in a month or two) for a SNES flash cart. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on the best one. I've found two, the "Super Everdrive" by KRIKzz, and the "SNES PowerPak" by Retrozone. The PowerPak looks great with the red casing, and light, but compact flash? Really? The Super Everdrive one looks a bit more complicated, but at least used a SD card.

So yeah, if anyone has any good or bad on either one (or if you know of any others) drop a line. My SNES will be here in a few weeks, and it'd be fun to mess around with it some.

Combat Soldier

There's a search feature, it's rather useful I find;

[Review] SNES Super Everdrive -English-
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...erdrive+review

My Review: The SNES Everdrive vs. the Retrozone PowerPak
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...erdrive+review

Foot Soldier

When ikari finishes the SD2SNES cart, it'll be the best. But for now, I'd buy the Super Everdrive.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Compact Flash doesn't bother me. It's really not a big issue as a CF card reader is very cheap. For like 10$ you could get a nice one that reads all sorts of card media.

The PowerPAK is wonderful. That review of PowerPak Vs SED complains about saving. Honestly I think creating save files is not a big deal. And in the current version it can automatically load and find the file to save. So all you have to do is hold reset for a few seconds and press a button to confirm saving your data to the CF card.

I just played through a SNES RPG and it was easy as could be. I picked the game in the menu, it saw the save file on the card and knew to load it, loads up real quick. Whenever I was done playing I would just hold reset for a few seconds, it would ask if I want to save and I pressed A. Powered it off. When I wanted to play again you can actually just turn on the system and press start, it'll ask if you want to reload the last game you played. So all I had to do from then on was power on, press start then A, in a couple seconds my RPG was loaded with my saves intact, no problem.

One thing the SED has is you can save some money. You can buy it without DSP1, currently the PowerPAK always includes DSP1. You could buy the SED without a case as well. But you'll probably buy it with a case, so the difference in price is something more like 30$. That is, unless you must have DSP1, I'm not sure what that adds to the SED but it'll eat away at that 30$.

Both are great products though. But I just have to defend the PowerPAK cause it seems to get a bad rep for no good reason. It's wonderful, I use mine all the time.

If SD2SNES gets completed and supports some of the "special chips" it may be the best cartridge then.

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Compact Flash doesn't bother me. It's really not a big issue as a CF card reader is very cheap. For like 10$ you could get a nice one that reads all sorts of card media.

The PowerPAK is wonderful. That review of PowerPak Vs SED complains about saving. Honestly I think creating save files is not a big deal. And in the current version it can automatically load and find the file to save. So all you have to do is hold reset for a few seconds and press a button to confirm saving your data to the CF card.

I just played through a SNES RPG and it was easy as could be. I picked the game in the menu, it saw the save file on the card and knew to load it, loads up real quick. Whenever I was done playing I would just hold reset for a few seconds, it would ask if I want to save and I pressed A. Powered it off. When I wanted to play again you can actually just turn on the system and press start, it'll ask if you want to reload the last game you played. So all I had to do from then on was power on, press start then A, in a couple seconds my RPG was loaded with my saves intact, no problem.

One thing the SED has is you can save some money. You can buy it without DSP1, currently the PowerPAK always includes DSP1. You could buy the SED without a case as well. But you'll probably buy it with a case, so the difference in price is something more like 30$. That is, unless you must have DSP1, I'm not sure what that adds to the SED but it'll eat away at that 30$.

Both are great products though. But I just have to defend the PowerPAK cause it seems to get a bad rep for no good reason. It's wonderful, I use mine all the time.

If SD2SNES gets completed and supports some of the "special chips" it may be the best cartridge then.
    Agreed, nice reply, very informative. Regretfully, I haven't read up on any of the SNES backup devices that are out there; although, I do own a 64drive, which is probably my favorite new toy as of late.

Although some of the ED products are pretty good, I just tend to shy away from them due to some of the design flaws in the ED64, no offense to the developer though.

I was going to purchase a powerpak, but this is the first that I've heard of the SD2SNES, do you have any links or information about it? I'm assuming it'll use SD given it's name, although I'd say I prefer CF. Little usb readers are quite cheap up at walmart and mine has a slot for pretty much everything, got it for like 10-15 dollars.

Is there a backup device that does support the "special chips" for the SNES? Sorry if I seem quite ignorant on the subject, I've just been out of the loop on this type of stuff for awhile, except for the 64drive which I've had pretty much all of marshallh's threads bookmarked since he announced the development.
    I come off as an arrogant jerk sometimes, feel free to bring me back down to level when that happens; however, it's not intentional most of the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Consoles: Sega Genesis | Nintendo 64 | Nintendo Gamecube | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Nintendo Wii | Sony PSP | Sony PS2 | Sony PS3 | Microsoft Xbox | Microsoft Xbox 360
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by C-Kronos View Post
    I was going to purchase a powerpak, but this is the first that I've heard of the SD2SNES, do you have any links or information about it?
    http://sd2snes.de/blog/

Conscript

Thanks for some of the help. I'm getting a really interesting SNES soon, and I'm eager to try to do some gaming on it.

I didn't even know about SD2SNES, but after reading up on it, it sounds great. The limiting factor for it (obviously) is, it's not done yet. One can hope though.

And yes, I did read some of the reviews regarding these items. But I was curious, if there were any big updates (on either side), to make them better, or more compatible, stuff like that. Or if anyone just had any anecdotal knowledge, for a pro/con of either one.

The idea of hollowing out a SNES cart is something that sounds....messy (given my tech knowledge). But, it does seem ok (if I bought it with the shell). I'll have to see, in the coming weeks, I guess.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

No backup device or flash cart plays "special chip" games, other than DSP1. The reason why is because except for DSP, all other chips connect in a way that doesn't allow "plugging in". DSP2, 3, and 4 actually could work except that to have those chip cartridges would mean you already own the 1 and only game it was used in.

It would be possible to make a device that could play all the special chip games, given either a really powerful FPGA and lots of research and development, or another less friendly method would be to actually extract the chips from cartridges and use the real chips in a flash cart device. It would ofcourse be expensive.

I've owned a (multiple) Super Wild Card unit, I currently own the PowerPak unit.

I highly recommend this cart, its easy to use. It will do the saving for you provided the empty 8kb file is on the Compact Flash card. The mappers has been updated since I got my cart, this makes saving even easier. Its a great cart, I'd recommend it to any one into snes roms.

Saying that I'd love to see a flash cart supporting SuperFX, can't see it though (shame!).

Conscript

Foot Soldier

i thought the ULTRA-16 was the best flashcart? if it indeed is a flashcart. albeit oop..