Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider beta?

Tomb Raider beta?

Has this Tomb Raider beta ever been released? After reading I'd love to get a hold of it.

Last edited by gracik; 09-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Foot Soldier

drx has a copy of but hasn't released it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 123lkik View Post

I'm not on here much, but is drx a user on here? And what's the reason he won't release it, or did he give one?

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gracik View Post
    I'm not on here much, but is drx a user on here? And what's the reason he won't release it, or did he give one?
    He doesn't need a reason beyond it is his to do with as he pleases.

Offer him a tidy sum and you might get to play it.
    Last edited by APE; 09-22-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Quote Originally Posted by 123lkik View Post
    Does any of you know what version he has?

Is it an alpha version, which was completely different to the one we got, or is it a beta version from 1996 which is similar to the one we got, but has some scrapped beta items.
    Last edited by Jazoni89; 09-22-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Foot Soldier

Why don't you ask him?

I have an odd version of the first Tomb Raider for PS1.

Back when the PS1 was released I found a store in chinatown that sold PSX games for cheap.

Anyway, I bought a "Hong Kong" silver disc of Tomb Raider that was obviously a pirate. But it's different from the final version. From what I recall: slightly different training level, music, textures, health bar, etc. All the levels seem to be there though, but it's...different.

My memory is vague though as it's been 15 years or so. I do remember renting the final at a later point and being surprised at the differences. I have the disc in storage (along with some other "prototype" silver discs from that same shop) that I should probably rip..

I've attached pics of the games I bought from the shop. They all play remarkably different than the originals. Twisted Metal 2 in particular is buggy as hell, with different textures and abilities. After I bought them, I actually thought I got ripped off...but if I knew what I do today, I would've bought out his stock. Upon my last visit to the store the owner closed up and said he threw his stock in a lake, haha.

I'd be interested to know what differences I should look for to identify what version it is. Also, how do I properly archive/rip these so they don't "bit-rot"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip; 09-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Member Hardcore

I've seen that Tomb Raider cover before!

Some cool stuff you got there Chip! Even if it is buggy as hell, I'd still love to give the TM2 beta a play if you ever ripped them.

@chip

I wouldnt say this is interesting because i believed this is TR review version not beta or alpha version, Most level are extac same. Some minor different. Unless you dump iso for us or make a video and check it out in first level that there any sound in secert room.

I used to collect Tomb Raider beta one time in past, there one person that im sure he knows about this, He the guy who also collect alot of TR beta in past that i bought beta stuff from him.

I see if i can contact him.
    Last edited by Mr Sippy; 09-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Interesting.. Thanks for the info, Mr Sippy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I have an odd version of the first Tomb Raider for PS1.

Back when the PS1 was released I found a store in chinatown that sold PSX games for cheap.

Anyway, I bought a "Hong Kong" silver disc of Tomb Raider that was obviously a pirate. But it's different from the final version. From what I recall: slightly different training level, music, textures, health bar, etc. All the levels seem to be there though, but it's...different.

My memory is vague though as it's been 15 years or so. I do remember renting the final at a later point and being surprised at the differences. I have the disc in storage (along with some other "prototype" silver discs from that same shop) that I should probably rip..

I've attached pics of the games I bought from the shop. They all play remarkably different than the originals. Twisted Metal 2 in particular is buggy as hell, with different textures and abilities. After I bought them, I actually thought I got ripped off...but if I knew what I do today, I would've bought out his stock. Upon my last visit to the store the owner closed up and said he threw his stock in a lake, haha.

I'd be interested to know what differences I should look for to identify what version it is. Also, how do I properly archive/rip these so they don't "bit-rot"?

So all those games in those pictures are prototypes?

For anyone that's interested, a poster over at tombraiderforums.com put up a video of his TR1 beta collection;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8ujMn4SuY

Some pretty interesting stuff, like being able to fix the camera and a different level layout for "St. Francis' Folly".

Quote Originally Posted by Decapicitated View Post
    He doesn't have the betas anymore. He sold them all.
    That's correct, I should have mentioned that, I PM'd him a few days back and he told me he sold them to a private collector. A shame, but at least we have some juicy footage! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Interesting.. Thanks for the info, Mr Sippy!
    It abit stupid of me, i don't have his contact, this was nearly 11 years ago:shrug: i have heard this guy who is still around today and whatever he may still collecting TRbeta or games beta's. He might be on this fourm.

Did you buy them silver, written Tomb raider betas along time ago ? If so, I know who you bought them from. Are you that sippy guy who bought them from a friend of mine?

Who did you sell them to lol? They are long lost, missing nobody knows where they went o.o after you

my tomb raider 1 betas arent interesting at all. Im searching for the gold disc 27:7:1996 beta ;) someone know where I can find other betas?

Quote Originally Posted by nu0 View Post
    For anyone that's interested, a poster over at tombraiderforums.com put up a video of his TR1 beta collection;

Some pretty interesting stuff, like being able to fix the camera and a different level layout for "St. Francis' Folly".
    Ahh i see

That kinda of scary, How do you know all of this? I think you are same person who send me PM before.

I have bought 2 version of Tomb Raider, EU and USA version, it almost completed version but some level is uncompleted and some is not existed too. Those both version has different feature in game. I can't remember what these feature are but USA version is more realiable than EU version because of missing part in gameplay that cannot complete the game. Also there 1 or 2 levels that never made it to final version similar to JAP version. If my memory severd me right, i believe there was intro that never made to final version too. It is very intreasting but i really love to show it you either screenshot or video but i don't have one also im not sure what Gold disc you talking about?. Yes im Sippy.

How you could be sure it was same person i bought it from?

Quote Originally Posted by nu0 View Post

Last edited by Mr Sippy; 09-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Yeah, I actually talk to him alot about betas on Tomb raider. He owned some really rare stuff years ago, shame he sold them and they are long gone now.

Anyway, found some new guy with new footage here

He has:

Tomb Raider 1 July beta
    Tomb Raider 1 August beta
    Tomb Raider 3 October beta

all on youtube!!! cool stuff

Are you S.Sippy?

Edit:

I look for Tomb raider betas alot, I do research ;), You bought Tomb Raider PAL and NTSC betas on silver discs.

You bought them from my friend, look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8ujMn4SuY 1:22

lol pretty old, he has pictures, videos of all the old betas he used to own. He sold them all, who did you sell them to?

Sorry if i'm being abit of a creep. Thought i knew your name from somewhere.
    Ahh i see now i get it:clap: I could see my name S.Sippy on paper on that video, @Decapicitated im assume that where you mention my name on that. (so he your friend?) Once again.. Yes that the same person i bought it from way back Nov 2001. He only the guy that he has most TR beta back in the day that i know of. but back then he is very differcult to communicate with because of his lack of english. I believe he a italian.

Im searching for the gold disc 27:7:1996 beta ;) someone know where I can find other betas?

Almito la vita then Greatest TR and mcstyle24... jeezes how many name he has!!!
    after i watch whole video and now i can understand what kind of Gold disc as you talking about, even there is about 3 or 5 TR beta disc including gold disc that CD has been sent to out to reviwers for game mags. The one in video as you saw, i believe that either Aug or Sept beta version but unfortunately he has 3 gold and 1 silver beta disc before as i could remember and in this video i only can see 2 gold beta disc and 1 silver, dont know what happen to other gold disc, mabey he sold it.

Fact!!! what i heard that he sold TR beta Gold disc (26/07/06) to someone in germany. I believed the guy in germany who also massive fan collecting Resident evil beta and im sure he's on this fourm aswell. I cant remember his name.

I hope this clears up abit. I havnt been into collecting Tomb raider betas for very long time, so i wouldnt know much.

Plugging the Tomb Raider Forums again, but this thread has links to the TR2 PSX & PC Betas;

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=148337

The PSX beta works fine under PSX 1.13, I had trouble with it in ePSXE 1.70, my anti-virus has trouble with the PC beta, keeps saying it's infected so I only opened it once.

I hope it's O.K. to post this stuff, if not feel free to edit my posts. Also, McStyle24 AKA Greatest TR posts there from time to time.

It would be great if these private collectors would be generous to release some TR1 builds, especially the Alpha build w/ the ponytail (if it still exists :shrug:)

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Last edited by Decapicitated; 06-21-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Thank you for the list Decapicitated, that helps to clear things up!

I know of two other versions of TR2 that maybe you could add to the list;

TR2 Alpha/Beta Lara w/ TR1 Bun (see attachment)

TR2 Alpha/Beta Lara w/ Bun/Ponytail combo (see video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjSh2zpNWd0

It looks like the TR1 engine and weapons are still being used in that build too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

@Decapicitated

Yes i was around alot in mid 90's looking betas games on internet and at the time, beta/alpha is very new for us and leaking games betas on internet is a very serious thing but now ,not , because game betas can dealiverd out to public for a test, from 90's to 2011 has been change alot. what i mean by that as you said alot of them are private collecter is vanished, i guess they older now. im nealy 26 years old, i rarely come on this site just to look around and read about beta stuff just for fun really.

Im sure you been on site called ungerground beta org.com, it was short lived before it took down in 2002 and that where almito la vita post TR 1 and 2 betas/alpha stuff in early days. Correct! it is true that Eidos sued Mcstyle24/Greatest TR for leaking
    info, I don't really know how much trouble he got into but i told theses beta disc that he was given by core design staff while STILL developing TR1 at the time, so leaking betas stuff while final version has not realease which it is not a good idea. To me that a stupid thing to do what he just did:fresh: or other wise ungerground beta org.com would have still exist today. In my personal opinion, after he got into trouble, this is reason why he sold all his betas that fast.

@Decapicitated How do you know all of this? Did he tell you that he got into trouble?

Im suprised for those who own TR betas that rather not gives out details is rather selfish to be honest. Right now this day and age it seem that (you) @Decapicitated and Mcstyle24 only very few people who still on going about it and releasing picture and videos of TR betas with info, so that nice really, after all thoses 16 years. Again im suprised there isn't much topic about this like compared in mid 90's.

This is interesting topic i seen for very long time, so i should stick around abit longer:nod:

EDIT

I Look through his channel on youtube, i found few more that i havn't seen,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNY12Zg0UM
    It a TR3 beta by Mcstyle24

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVldi8WeuCE
    it the TR Augest beta by ghostblade.
    Last edited by Mr Sippy; 09-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast