Member Elite

good ideas, hopefully I will find time to work this week

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Blog Entries
    This is awesome, :thumbsup: DerekB Wow Thx man.
    keep those keyboard fingers typing for that rainbow attack (I mean animation)
    :love2:
    Collector and gamer, also hack away stuff. Im a big fan of:
    Xbox, Xbox 360 PS1, PS2, MSX,NES, Wii, all gameboy/nDS series and DC

Member Elite

I animated the cat, just trying to trim a smidge more off my code cuz atm two of my star sprites cant be loaded cuz i seem to be at the limit of my code space I guess

ASSEMbler Soldier

I'd like to comment:

From all the nyan cat versions I've seen posted here, your version is the most impressive because you actually made it's assets from scratch instead of replaying or reusing the internet meme version (SWF) music and graphics.

I might be wrong, but I have the impression that while your nyan cat is not the most cosmetic or 1:1 version, it looks like the one which has more work invested into the making...

:thumbsup:

The NDS one feels like I'm watching the original SWF. :lol:
    (And I loved it too btw)
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Member Elite

not gonna lie, I totally stole the tracked out NSF file from someone else :p

it's definitely alot harder working in 6502, i've learned a bit though, wish I'd used a different mapper to begin with

also thinking about retracking the song when alls said and done, I don't like how the intro notes sound and theres some leading beats I wanna ditch
    Last edited by derekb; 08-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.

what mapper did you use because making a repro (i want to see the cat flyin everytime i hook up my nes ;D and for you if you want) is much harder if you used a mapper like mmc3 or another one i can't get from anywhere ;)

regards,
    aliman

ASSEMbler Soldier

I think he did "no mapper" cart type, aka: NROM. :thumbsup:

BG Animation can be pulled of the more complex mappers such as MMC1 or MMC3, for example. Both super common mappers.

Ever noticed how MEGA-MAN/ROCKMAN had a static background and then starting on MEGA-MAN2/ROCKMAN2 every stage had animated backgrounds ? It's because MEGAMAN1 was an UNROM (Mapper based on 74LS161+74LS32 and is for PRG rom only) game while MMC1 and MMC3 are capable of bank switching both PRG and Video ROM.

ROCKMAN2 used MMC1 and ROCKMAN3 onwards had MMC3 as hardware.
    Last edited by l_oliveira; 08-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    I think he did "no mapper" cart type, aka: NROM. :thumbsup:

BG Animation can be pulled of the more complex mappers such as MMC1 or MMC3, for example. Both super common mappers.

Ever noticed how MEGA-MAN/ROCKMAN had a static background and then starting on MEGA-MAN2/ROCKMAN2 every stage had animated backgrounds ? It's because MEGAMAN1 was an UNROM (Mapper based on 74LS161+74LS32 and is for PRG rom only) game while MMC1 and MMC3 are capable of bank switching both PRG and Video ROM.

ROCKMAN2 used MMC1 and ROCKMAN3 onwards had MMC3 as hardware.
    thanks for clearing up :-)
    i hope the new nyan cat nes version will be soon released ;D

ps: typing texts with the itouch is crappy :D

Member Elite

I could probably free a good chunk of prg space if I implemented some compression for the background nametable considering im only drawing two titles that aren't blank

Member Elite

if someone can help on that front lmk, or knows how to just loop the name table and its attributes into all same tile then just change the couple tiles I actually use to the right ones

nvm I think I got it
    Last edited by derekb; 08-23-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Member Elite

k i'm adding back in my stars animation that I took out to fit in the cat animation, almost there!

Member Elite

updated rom, if someone can test on hardware please do, I didn't really 'properly' init my nametable but it works in nestopia, cat is animate, stars are animate as well, etc

http://www.bombsomedodongos.com/NyanCat.nes

by didnt properly init, I mean that i'm only specifying tiles for the couple tiles used for the rainbow and skipping the rest of the screen, freed alot of rom space
    Last edited by derekb; 08-23-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    updated rom, if someone can test on hardware please do, I didn't really 'properly' init my nametable but it works in nestopia, cat is animate, stars are animate as well, etc

http://www.bombsomedodongos.com/NyanCat.nes

by didnt properly init, I mean that i'm only specifying tiles for the couple tiles used for the rainbow and skipping the rest of the screen, freed alot of rom space
    MAN YOU'RE THE BEST :thumbsup: The animated Nyan Cat is cool!
    Just missing the counter that says "You've NYANED for"(would be veeeeery cool, if you could add it.
    Of course if there is enough space left on the rom :-))
    So if you want to have the promised repro, I also need to know if you have a regionfree NES Console because there is a Store neaby my house which sells SMB (NYANCatNes fits pefectly into this board and I think it should be very cheap, at least cheaper than the retrousb repro board ;D)

ASSEMbler Soldier

It goes down to choose the proper hardware to do what you want to.

While it's at about the limit what can be done with NROM, you can easily make the rainbow animated if you convert it to MMC3.

It's really easy if you want to be cheap, just take your program rom exactly as it is now and make four copies of it then shove into a 128KB chip (or make it be a 128KB image). That's enough to make your program work on a MMC3 mapper. You have to write some of it's registers to make the graphics work properly though. I suggest you do the same thing with the graphics as I suggested for the program ROM. Make it be 16 banks of 8KB on another 128KB chip. 128KB + 128KB is the smallest configuration for MMC3 with VROM.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    It goes down to choose the proper hardware to do what you want to.

While it's at about the limit what can be done with NROM, you can easily make the rainbow animated if you convert it to MMC3.

It's really easy if you want to be cheap, just take your program rom exactly as it is now and make four copies of it then shove into a 128KB chip (or make it be a 128KB image). That's enough to make your program work on a MMC3 mapper. You have to write some of it's registers to make the graphics work properly though. I suggest you do the same thing with the graphics as I suggested for the program ROM. Make it be 16 banks of 8KB on another 128KB chip. 128KB + 128KB is the smallest configuration for MMC3 with VROM.
    Yeah you're right, I'm actually on making me an UNROM, MMC1 and MMC3 Developement Board for all the cool homebrew that's flying' around on the inet ;D (like D-PAD HERO - very good game :thumbsup:)
    All I want to see (if there would be a next release) is the NYAN counter and for the programmer's sake, he can add his name into his work and maybe eastereggs like doing somethin' like button combo :D (like in the KONAMI games)

derekb, just keep it up man, lookin' forward to it:-)

Member Elite

I'm working to free up some palette room so I can draw the rainbow as sprites, I think I can do it

edit: yeah I got it done, now that the rainbow is gonna be sprite based I think I'll be able to nicely animate it and let the cat move around some
    Last edited by derekb; 08-25-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Member Elite

double post:

well ugh, drawing the rainbow as sprites, while definitely easier to control in my code, has now exceeded the 8 sprites per scanline restriction, what do :(

main problem is that the cat is 4 sprites wide, and I'm having to draw two layers on him to color him in properly
    Last edited by derekb; 08-25-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Member Elite

if anyone can help me to use background animations or the like lmk :)

ASSEMbler Soldier

You simply take some NES graphics editor and work your video ram in banks.

For example your video ROM is 8KB, make a second copy of it, put on YYCHR and edit the second one so things are slightly different.

If you have the name table set up correctly and characters are showing on the screen, toggling the banking register for graphics rom on your mapper will cause the CHR ROM bank to swap, making the new 8kb page visible and changing the characters without you need to mess with the names table. So savvy CPU wise... You would need to write several addresses on the name table to obtain the same effect ... lol

And obviously, since you already blown the 256 character patterns you had available, you have no choice but bank your CHR-ROM out ... :lol:
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Member Elite

what mapper setup do I need to switch over to?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast