Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nyan Cat NES

Member Elite

Nyan Cat NES

not as good as I had hoped to accomplish, but it's my first time doing anything in 6502

edit: links were dead
    Last edited by derekb; 06-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Can I make a video (with your nickname as creator of the program) for YouTube of this?
    Last edited by MarioInside; 08-12-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Site Supporter 2013 Combat Soldier

ah, file is unavailiable for download... would you please re-up it? thx

nvm, it worked :)
    Last edited by G0dLiKe; 08-12-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Shinra meine heimat ―― エスプガルーダⅡ
    #940694 +(588)- [X]
    <@JackD> ooh, a app store on its way for windows :) how nice
    <J700> it's called piratebay
    My Feedback Thread

Help me to get free space on DropBox :)
    http://db.tt/vIoY8HlF

Member Elite

I wanted to animate the cat, but not sure I can pull it off easily.

I'm overlaying an extra set of sprites on top of the original set of sprites in order to get past palette limitations and color everything in. I guess I could shift the tile attribute and store atleast one other frame of animation (started reaching the code ceiling for the rom size I was using). Would also like to get the stars to cycle tiles as they travel, again I'm very new at 6502 so will have to look into pulling off the tile loop

The rainbow is a static part of the background since I had already used up my palette sets on the sprites

I also copped out a bit on the cat since I stored him as one complete sprite rather than breaking it into different parts (poptart, head, legs, tail, etc)
    Last edited by derekb; 08-12-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Member Elite

I also had some problems with looping my animation code and instead just wrote out a long ass per-sprite thing, which is eating up alot of code space. Hopefully I can get that sorted out since it would free room for the cat animation

Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by MarioInside View Post
    Can I make a video (with your nickname as creator of the program) for YouTube of this?
    ya do whatever

Conscript

Cover art for the game:
    (not from me)
    Last edited by indask8; 08-13-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    My youtube channel about handhelds/video games...:
    http://www.youtube.com/indask8

Member Elite

lol

I've managed to get it work on my home console :D
    If you could add some animations to Nyan cat it would be very cool
    I appreciate your work:thumbsup: Keep it on :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member Elite

I'm planning to atleast animate it's legs and tail, just haven't found the free time yet

would you be willing to create a repro for me as well when its done?

yeah actually thats not a bad idea xD
    I would make the cart for free(and i'm not jokin' ;D, just trying to be very nice and I hope I don't violate the rules of this board) 'cause you've created such a great and funny app;)
    when the animations and what ever you like to add (maybe controlling the cat through the screen or better a timer just like the original's) I would make the cart for you
    BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT I'M LIVING IN GERMANY AND I THINK YOU LIVE IN THE US, so if you don't mind paying the shipping fee it's ok for me ;)
    If you are ok with that, then there is only one thing left:
    I would need a NES Cart board with the right mapper, so you would have to send one.
    I won't charge you for the two chips and if you want, I could do a cover art for it for free too, so it doesn't look like crappy as mine xD

Then, it's all up to you ;D
    If you're fine with that, then just send me an e-mail.

aliman
    Last edited by aliman; 08-19-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: made some mistakes

Member Elite

oh lol I see

shouldn't the RetroZone board work for this mapper? should keep it from sticking out of the cart http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=42

honestly biggest problem is I have no idea how to animate the rainbow with the cat, I am not advanced programmer so as-is I've already used up my sprite palettes on just the cat, I'm using background layer for the rainbow

yeah you're right, the retrousb board should work if the mapper stays as NROM (Mapper 0), but I haven't got the right chips at home. I think the retrousb board uses some 27Cxxxx or 29Fxxxx and I've only some 28C256 EEPROMs which fit directly into the NROM Board I used ;)
    And i'm very sorry, 'cause i'm not a great programmer (I'm a total n00b xD), but isn't it possible to put the poptard as well as background to free some space for the sprites or how about (I hope I wasn't taken wrong) expanding the graphic space to 16kb because you've used only 8kb of CHR for your homebrew and NROM boards supports up to 32kb of CHR, so if you manage to use 16kb or 32kb of CHR then there would be enough space for the sprites ;)
    I hope I could help in any way xD
    And I hope you manage to get it finished ;)

aliman
    Last edited by aliman; 08-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Quite cool! Im working on Nyancat for the Dingoo, heres the first spritesheet ive ever done, every pixel hand-picked with grafx2, not 100% accurate but pfff:
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/433/nyansprites.png
    Since the Dingoo has SDL it will be much easier i guess, but im just getting my feet wet so my head is smoking as you can imagine.
    Also, you should upload it to pouet when youve finished it, they love this cat on old systems! :love2:

sry for shameless offtopic ^^
    Last edited by nameless hero; 08-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Combat Soldier

aliman, could you give me the instructions to make that flash cart?

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billcosbymon View Post
    aliman, could you give me the instructions to make that flash cart?
    It isn't a flash cart:

1)Find compatible cartridge (mapper match)
    2)Remove old PRG and CHR chips
    3)Burn seperate EPROMs for PRG and CHR data
    4)Solder into cart
    5)Done.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Combat Soldier

ohhhh because ive seen someone make one that looks exactly like that

yeah actually it isn't hard to make this cart ^^
    but the thing is, that you have to buy an eprom burner and they aren't cheap ;)
    it was luck that i had one lying around at home ;)
    i've wanted to do something with it and found that you could play your nes/snes homebrew on real hardware.

if you want to make one by yourself then just google for "romlab".
    a very cool site with good instructions ;)
    my cart looks so crappy because i wanted to quickly remove the chip for rewriting and soldered in some ic sockets xD

i'm doing one for free for our friend derekb (if he wants) 'cause he came up with this very funny and cool app that i loved from the first moment xD

ps: for those who didn't read my full post: search for "romlab" in google, there is a very good site for making your own homebrew/developement/repro cart for nes/snes and i think atari and sega genesis (i'm not so sure)

aliman

Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by nameless hero View Post
    Quite cool! Im working on Nyancat for the Dingoo, heres the first spritesheet ive ever done, every pixel hand-picked with grafx2, not 100% accurate but pfff:
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/433/nyansprites.png
    Since the Dingoo has SDL it will be much easier i guess, but im just getting my feet wet so my head is smoking as you can imagine.
    Also, you should upload it to pouet when youve finished it, they love this cat on old systems! :love2:

sry for shameless offtopic ^^
    looks good, main problem for me on NES is 1) new at it, 2) hardware limits that i dont know how to work around easily, much harder to work with than other platforms since its in assembly

ASSEMbler Elite

I'd suggest something like making the cat and rainbow with BG tiles instead of sprites, because the cat does not move around the screen (it's not a game but a demo, right ?) and you can use a advanced mapper like MMC3 to bank out the VRAM making the cat animated with just VROM bank switching. Also you can make the stars animated, but this time you would just have several tiles for them and just swap them on the name table while move them forward (as for the scroll)...

What you think ?
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast