Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up MC freeboot on PS2 Test?

Setting up MC freeboot on PS2 Test?

I have a PS2 test that I've been using for the better half of a year and think its time I switched to MC freeboot to save the lazer. I've been using HDadvance but some of the compatibility issues such as GoW 2 have caused me to want to start using MC freeboot to boot up the most current version of HDloader. I've been trying to get something that would let me boot the .ELF to install FCMB onto a memory card but I can never either patch the ISO or Bin/Cue so that the disc is read on the system and launching the ELF from HDadvance doesn't work. Maybe its because I've been burning the CD iso to a DVD disc? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Segata Sanshiro View Post
    Thanks so much. I'm still having some problems though. I downloaded unclejun's patched CD iso and burned it. The cd boots up but then reverts me to the PS2 screen with the memory cards and CDs. Is it because I burned it to a DVD or is something else the matter?

Member Hardcore

Might be. Do you have a CD-R handy? Mine is on a CD-R. :)

Make sure you use the right one for your region too.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Free MC Boot on a DTLH unit ? Won't happen.

Why ? DEVKITS cannot decrypt RETAIL kelfs. :shrug:
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    Free MC Boot on a DTLH unit ? Won't happen.

Why ? DEVKITS cannot decrypt RETAIL kelfs. :shrug:
    Depends on the model number. DTL-Hxx1xx units should be able to, but unfortunately not the more common xx0xx ones. But even with the former, you'd still need to supply your own DVD ELF, as the TEST machines do not have one in ROM.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBull View Post
    Depends on the model number. DTL-Hxx1xx units should be able to, but unfortunately not the more common xx0xx ones. But even with the former, you'd still need to supply your own DVD ELF, as the TEST machines do not have one in ROM.
    You sure about that ? (I'm referring to the binding mechanism, since I'm almost sure that Debugstations with Magic Gate encryption enabled are intended to use the DTLH-10020 card as boot device instead of the standard SCPH-10020). If I had that stuff here I would SURELY test this out ... :lol:

I had the impression that the DTLH-10020 (Boot memory card for TEST consoles and also used as System 246 security dongle) was using different MG keys than that of a retail.

Also the kelf files on these devices can be using different keys, no ?
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Foot Soldier

You sure about that ?
    Unfortunately, no. But I am certain that I read a message from unclejun some time ago stating that the xx1xx models can successfully execute a retail HDD utility disc. Which would mean the consoles could read retail KELFs and bind them to memory cards, wouldn't it?

The DTL-H10020 is a different story, and I know basically nothing about it (aside from what is being written in the user manual). I don't own such a card, neither an xx1xx TEST unit :shrug:.

I had the impression that the DTLH-10020 (Boot memory card for TEST consoles and also used as System 246 security dongle) was using different MG keys than that of a retail.
    Are the System 246 dongles really labelled DTL-H10020, or do they just use the same board? If it is the same board and maybe even the same labelling on the microcontroller, they could still use different firmware. The card-specific encrypted keys should be stored in the microcontroller, and I'd assume (but that's just another wild guess) that these are programmed after assembling the board, meaning that whatever is written on either the board or card does not necessarily resemble which firmware or key set it uses.

Also the kelf files on these devices can be using different keys, no ?
    That is indeed possible. We know that at least for the files on the System 246 dongle, as (please correct me if I'm wrong here) its file header signature cannot be verified with the retail keys; something that should be possible even for a bound KELF if they were using the same key set.

My PS2 Test happens to be model DTL-H30101 so it should work right? I put the patched iso of the uLElauncher into my HDD and booted it up with a mastered copy of HDadvance. I then accessed my usb drive and opened the FBMC installer which then prompted me to add a DVDELF.BIN file so I did. Now I'm stuck at decrypting DVDELF. Any help?
    Last edited by itsmattxp; 07-29-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Combat Soldier

Is it the right DVDELF.BIN for your region TEST?? If it's not then it will most likely hang. It's happened to me a couple of times.

Member Hardcore

Oh, so you can actually use freemcboot with a debug?

ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by itsmattxp View Post
    My PS2 Test happens to be model DTL-H30101 so it should work right? I put the patched iso of the uLElauncher into my HDD and booted it up with a mastered copy of HDadvance. I then accessed my usb drive and opened the FBMC installer which then prompted me to add a DVDELF.BIN file so I did. Now I'm stuck at decrypting DVDELF. Any help?

This post proves I was right after all.

So it seems like no, you can't run FMCB on TEST consoles.

It won't boot RETAIL kelfs which are bound to retail memory cards after all.

It boot DISC type KELFs or perhaps it's made to only boot the ones made for the HDD ...

It was a guess of mine, considering the silly block for making TEST PS2s not work with retail DVD player updates... perhaps the reason TEST PS2s can't use retail KELFs is block them from using the DVD Player and prevent these units from being used to decrypt the retail MC-BOUND KELFs...

Edit:DTL-Hx010x TEST units don't have region restrictions on DISC KELF booting AFAIK. It probably don't have restrictions on booting bound KELFs too but I suppose it will require them to be on a DTL-H10020 card.

SB: Yes, System 246 dongles are actually labeled as "DTL-H10020".
    Last edited by l_oliveira; 07-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Member Elite

System246 dongles are labelled "COH-H10020".

ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by unclejun View Post
    System246 dongles are labelled "COH-H10020".

I stand corrected here. Shame on me ... :shrug:

Sorry. :pray: I had to open my system and check. I wish I did before I said what I did ... lol
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Foot Soldier

In case you can boot of the MC give it a try to Open PS2 Loader, worked flawlessly even with isos from USB, it was able to run NFS UG 2 that HDloader can't, in case FreeMC wont work make a disc with uLaunchElf, really useful tool.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Uh, just make an master disc with Open PS2 Loader ELF file....

Not hard...

Not hard at all...
    Last edited by l_oliveira; 07-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Well now that I know I can't get FMCB on my test is there any link to a patched version of HDloader 0.8? I get the bin/cue on SKSapps but I'm unable to patch it. Is there any work around to that?

ASSEMbler Soldier

You have CDVDGEN ? It's part of the PS2SDK. Just build a disc project with the uLE ELF as launch file. :shrug:
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

You have CDVDGEN ? It's part of the PS2SDK. Just build a disc project with the uLE ELF as launch file. :shrug:
    No I don't have it. I have CDgenPS2 but would like to make a DVD iso and not a CD iso. The CDDVDgen I got off SKSapps say I'm missing a file to use it so I'm having a hard time making a DVD iso since I only have DVD discs available.
    Last edited by itsmattxp; 07-31-2011 at 03:36 PM.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by itsmattxp View Post
    No I don't have it. I have CDgenPS2 but would like to make a DVD iso and not a CD iso. The CDDVDgen I got off SKSapps say I'm missing a file to use it so I'm having a hard time making a DVD iso since I only have DVD discs available.
    You can use the pirate one CDgenPS2 to make your iso too, but then you need Loser's MASTER DISC PATCHER for it to work on your TEST console. :thumbsup:
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast