Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn Region Free BIOS

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

i wouldve put a socket in but when i usually goto the extent of adding more things something more something else goes wrong.
    bios works great but im having an issue with my modchip now. it seems now when i try to play a game the backround music doesnt work but the sound effects work.
    could it be its bios revision 1.01a instead of 1.00a? Because when i had my mod-chip in with the bios revision 1.00a the sound worked but now it doesnt?.

*Edit* just forgot, when i take out the modchip (Racketboy chip)the back round music works perfectly. is there a compatibility issue with the 1.01a bios?

*Another Edit* Just fixed it, one of the bridges that go from the chip to the ribbon cable (Model 2 Racketboy chip to fit model 1 horizontal method) was not bridged right must've not had enough solder on the bridge
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 08-21-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Hello guys, anybody have a shcematic to put freebios on saturn 1.2 / 1.3 ? i made it for my 2.2 it work perfectly but a friend had problems on his 1.2 and d'ont work .. maybe an other type of configuration ?

Enlightenment ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by RuGaL View Post
    Hello guys, anybody have a shcematic to put freebios on saturn 1.2 / 1.3 ? i made it for my 2.2 it work perfectly but a friend had problems on his 1.2 and d'ont work .. maybe an other type of configuration ?
    All Saturns except VA0 ones used SOP bios roms so installation should be roughly the same, the only difference being where you source GND and +5v from (which is ultimately trivial).
    Last edited by Druid II; 12-24-2013 at 06:01 PM.

1HCg6o6zJkxtjNfyzGHtwZbXgCC7Kdf231

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    They are all identical if you use my method (vcc and gnd from the chip itself)
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Short of lifting pads, soldering mistakes, programming error or bad chips there isn't a reason a replacement BIOS install shouldn't work.

But of course most people don't want to admit they don't have the skill level necessary to install something that looks this simple.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    Short of lifting pads, soldering mistakes, programming error or bad chips there isn't a reason a replacement BIOS install shouldn't work.

But of course most people don't want to admit they don't have the skill level necessary to install something that looks this simple.
    Desoldering isn't the difficult part, it's the fact that the chip is glued down that makes the entire process iffy. You can only tear that off with brute force...

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    You keep saying that, when I keep telling you thats wrong.

Hot air to remove the chip. The heat detaches the glue and it comes off as if there was never any glue on it. There is no need to brute force it and there is no need for it to be an issue if you have the correct tools for the job.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

Hm, I haven't thought of that. Sounds logical in hindsight.

ASSEMbler Elite

The parts on the bottom side of the Saturn board are glued because the Saturn was assembled with wave soldering. The side that faced down needed that.

Saturn units with the BIOS on the upper side will not have it glued.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Combat Soldier

It becomes obvious when you watch how wave soldering is done. It's pretty impressive to see in action.

I was wondering. There is some areas on the Sega saturn PCB where there is no components. Even though they are not "needed". What would happen if i added those components that are missing? Would it make the system better? Or does it not make a difference?

What will happen to PAL optimized games if i run them on my region free bios modded japanese sega saturn?

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostOriginal View Post
    What will happen to PAL optimized games if i run them on my region free bios modded japanese sega saturn?
    They'll run in 60hz mode unless you rework the jumpers to run the thing in 50hz.

ASSEMbler Elite

Like APE said. Region free BIOS, import cartridge, or a modchip, none of the three change your console's display mode.

Naturally more of an issue for PAL models.

Any issues with gameplay? Bugs?

(I only own 1 game that's why i ask)
    Last edited by AlmostOriginal; 03-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.

My PAL-optimized Saturn games when played on a NTSC machine run slightly faster and have some of the bottom of the screen missing.

Ok thanks for your help.

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnHST View Post
    My PAL-optimized Saturn games when played on a NTSC machine run slightly faster and have some of the bottom of the screen missing.
    Because you are supposed to have the 50/60hz mod too if you are going to play 50hz games. Your post isnt a bug or issue with the bios, its an issue of running pal games in 60hz

I was wondering. There is some areas on the Sega saturn PCB where there is no components. Even though they are not "needed". What would happen if i added those components that are missing? Would it make the system better? Or does it not make a difference?

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Any issues with gameplay? Bugs?

(I only own 1 game that's why i ask)
    There are a handful of problems those of us who have installed the RF BIOS have found but nothing I'd put down to paper as definitive and most of the problems discovered are hardware related and not software. I want to say there is a problem with a single game directly related to the RF BIOS but I don't recall what game or what the problem is.

Assuming you could find out what they are? They're not needed. "Better" is subjective and you'd have to know what these components are for and if they would even serve a purpose. You aren't going to get a Super Saturn by adding components back into the system an engineer felt weren't needed.
    Last edited by APE; 03-11-2013 at 01:29 PM.