Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn Region Free BIOS

Would anybody be willing to do this mod on my console(s)? I tried installing one of them unsuccessfully. I would of course pay for return shipping and some extra for the work.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    I do installation, but I cant remember where you are based.

Obviously USA would be expensive shipping.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Enlightenment ASSEMbler Soldier

He's in the usa.

1HCg6o6zJkxtjNfyzGHtwZbXgCC7Kdf231

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    I do installations as well and too am in the US.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Combat Soldier

I finally got a Victor RG-VC3 VCD card and I tried it with my US saturn with the region free BIOS.

VCD movie work fine :D. Did try a game compatible with the card too and it work.
    Last edited by DarthCloud; 03-13-2012 at 11:10 PM.

I think this documents may help a lot people on this thread!
    Here are schematics of Saturn board (i don't know what board type/revision), parts list of a Hi-saturn and a research of saturn's serial numbers and hardware parts manufacturer
    ALL IN JAPANESE... sorry! but it's a good start!
    Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by blackhein; 03-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Hi All

If anyone doing the rom change in model 2, VA... (cant remember right now, the one with the little board for the leds and controller ports), could do a high res shot of the board without the chip soldered, i would be grateful.

I friend of mine broke some pads and traces, so, for the reconstruction proyect, it would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Enlightenment ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBrana View Post
    Hi All

If anyone doing the rom change in model 2, VA... (cant remember right now, the one with the little board for the leds and controller ports), could do a high res shot of the board without the chip soldered, i would be grateful.

I friend of mine broke some pads and traces, so, for the reconstruction proyect, it would be very welcome.

Thanks!
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/p1010726q.jpg/

1HCg6o6zJkxtjNfyzGHtwZbXgCC7Kdf231

Thank you!

Hi, I tried installing the Saturn Bios chip on a model 2 32 pin PAL Saturn but I have ended up with no sound or picture. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong or is it fixable?

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    Probably bad joint. The bios chip is quite a little bit wider than the original and make it harder to get a good joint
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

So I'm having a problem, I'm getting a BIOS, but its acting as though there's no drive attached. I don't get the startup sound, it just starts with the Japanese Saturn Logo then goes straight to the CD player. It never tries to spin the drive. Is it possible not all of the legs are attached properly? I was thinking I wouldn't get any BIOS if that was the case.

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Sounds like your ribbon cable is plugged in wrong from the drive

I troubleshooted the ribbon cable, and the cable does not appear to be in good condition at all. Some of the pins are bending upwards, and I doubt its making good contact, so yeah thats probably the issue. Any ideas where I might be able to get a 21 pin ribbon cable locally? Even eBay wasn't much help.

Okay so I got a new ribbon cable but it doesn't help my issue. The Saturn turns on and displays the Japanese Saturn screen. No sound. It then goes to the CD player. It never attempts to spin the disc. If I'm getting to the BIOS, can we safely assume the problem is not with the new chip?

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Yes, if the bios boots then its not the chip/installation.

Are you sure you have the ribbon cables the right way around?

Also, your new cable, are the sure that its the correct type?

some ribbon cables have the contacts on 1 side of the ribbon, then the other end its on the opposite side - those cables do not work.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Hey All,
    I just wanted to verify a method of installing the new Region Free bios into my NTSC U Model 1 Saturn.
    Step 1: Using a fine tip soldering iron heat up the SOIC leg then carefully using a hobby knife Lift up the pin (Repeat for each pin)
    Step 2: When all SOIC Legs are lifted if theres glue attached between the SOIC and the PCB carefully Use a non-magnetic flat head screw driver to lift the SOIC from the board
    Step 3: Lift Pin 43, 44, 1 and 2 and allign the new SOIC (Region Free Bios) Legs to the solder pad on the PCB
    Step 4: Use the Drag Soldering Technique shown in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t06malVew40) on the pins that are allignd on the board
    Step 5: Bridge legs 43 and 44 and then solder a strip of 30Awg Kynar wire from the bridge to leg 23
    Step 6: Then add a strip of 30Awg Kynar wire from leg 2 to the contact point below pin 13 on the right side
    Step 7: Inspect and Double Check Connections using a Magnifing Glass (tool) and a Multimeter using Continuity Mode
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 07-21-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0-2k11 View Post
    Step 2: When all SOIC Legs are lifted if theres glue attached between the SOIC and the PCB carefully Use a non-magnetic flat head screw driver to lift the SOIC from the board
    A great way to lift a dozen traces or more.

I personally don't bother drag soldering and just solder one by one. The flux I use makes it almost impossible to short anything.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

I was thinking of using the drag soldering method because i think if i were to solder one by one it would be easier to bridge connections would be more time consuming. is there a certain technique you use? also which flux do you recommend for the best install i was planning on using a flux pen instead of a needle dispensing flux

Edit *Im still learning to solder. only methods i see on youtube for these SOIC's so far is drag soldering*
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 07-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.