ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries

Response to Byu.org assertion :Taking things too far

It's come to my attention that this has been post

http://byuu.org/articles/assembler-is-a-scammer

---

How can I react to this? With sadness.
    Our community is very small. People buy from me, and I buy from them.
    This is not unusual. I have never sold a thing to this person, yet somehow I have scammed him.

Below are the emails I received. Decide for yourself if I was right to not sell to this customer.

---

Hey, received a second chance offer, have a few questions.

First, I'm byuu. You may know me from such films as ... ahem. Matthew Callis tells me you're ASSEMbler?

I was willing to pay that as an absolute max. If the other buyer didn't intend to pay that much, I understand. Seems strange that the second chance is my max bid instead of a little above the next highest bid though, which was $80. I guess how eBay works :/

Anyway, if it displays a good picture I am willing to pay your asking price, and am a 2 hour drive from NJ so I could pick it up locally. In fact could pay cash if you wanted.

It would certainly be for a good cause. I'm trying to emulate the PPU mid-scanline timings, which can only be done visually, S-video is too fuzzy.

I see it takes CGA, I wouldn't suppose you had the Multi-AV to CGA cable? Heh, can dream. I can probably splice a Multi-AV/SCART cable to a serial cable or something, since this is the right Hfreq.

---

Yep. Guy in canada found out shipping would be $200 so he asked me to second chance it. LMK if you want it.

---
    Okay, confirmed to be analog RGB.

I underestimated the distance, I can't do local pickup, you're 4-5 hours away. Would cost more in gas. So if you can ship for the $25 you quoted to Columbus, OH that would work. Or meet me half way, which I'm sure you don't want to do :P

If you have the adapter/cable this came with, I will buy it for $160+$25. If not, I'm going to have to buy SNES/SCART + splicing SCART extension + DB9 cables + 4x220uF caps. In that case, I can afford to pay you $120+$25, is that acceptable?

If no, please go ahead and relist, and I'm very sorry for any time I've wasted.

- kaisetsuna

---

My grounds for not selling to this buyer

Asking too many questions, making me worry about a chargeback
    Wants the item for $80, or half the asking price.
    Asking for items not in the auction twice (cables)
    Asking me to drive two hours each way so he can save $25 on shipping
    Offering to pay me cash (Circumventing Ebay fees)
    ---

I think people can see conspiracy when there is none, or feel angry when they don't get something their way. The item was offered for sale, and the potential buyer did not purchase it, even when it was offered at the very price he had bid the day before. Now he wanted discounts, items not in the auction, and to pay cash.

I declined to sell and ended the second chance offer.
    Last edited by ASSEMbler; 05-17-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

You did the right thing, ASSEMbler. People like him are why I never use EBay.

What can you do though? I have no idea how things work in the US. It seems you can sue or call out someone for pretty much anything. Would you want to waste such time on a low life though? Would it be worth the effort? Would anyone actually believe him? It's hard to say and you don't want your name being ruined by a nobody. Couldn't he be done for slander?

Yakumo
    Last edited by Yakumo; 05-14-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    I asked him to not use my images and to retract his article, he declined and rather than make it a legal pissing contest that benefits no one, I will post this and leave it be.
    Last edited by ASSEMbler; 05-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

I doubt most people would give a shit about what he wrote anyway. You're right about the legal side. Not worth the effort.

Super Moderator Staff

Tribuni Angusticlavii

you at least report his account to ebay?

I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Geist Force Primary Donor
    Staff

ASSEMbler Soldier

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest.

Auction ends, high bidder pulls out (shit happens)

Second chance offers the item to the next high bidder (byuu)

byuu is delighted to be offered the item, but then decides though the price is a good deal he wants a better deal and starts to haggle. Says if you don't like the offer feel free to relist.

You don't like the offer thus decline.

That should be cased closed? Still you know what the say - any publicity is good publicity.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Going to close this out. No more replies please.