The eBay purchase of 2 Sega Saturns has finally been delivered after two weeks of waiting (a week of them just sitting on their hands and a week in USPS trucks). Problem is neither chip I got from Trenton_net seems to work.
Both Saturns are model 2. One is a 32 pin and the other is a 64 pin.
I have one of the first chips shown and one of the second.
First tried the 64 pin Saturn with the first chip. It booted to a red sphere on the left side of the BIOS and a brown/yellowish sphere on the right. It seemed to be able to recognize all discs as being audio CDs but I didn't test if it could actually play any CDDA. I then tried the second chip in the 32 pin Saturn with the same results.
I've tried putting them in backwards from what Trenton_net says is the installation method in the above thread. I've even tried using the ribbons that came from the Saturns themselves with no positive results.
The last thing I tried was chip #2 on the 64 pin Saturn. When it booted the sound was heavily distorted and displayed a red sphere on the right and a brown/yellowish sphere on the left (opposite what it was before).
Without anything in either slot the Saturns both boot to the red on left brown/yellowish on right setup. With the ribbons in place both boot up just fine and play Audio CDs. I can only confirm that 32 pin can play games at this point as the Resident Evil disc I have is heavily scratched, honestly the fact it can recognize the disc's security ring is a miracle, let alone the fact that the worst the game shows while being playing is some slight skipping in the intro FMV.
I can confirm the chips are getting power and they didn't receive more/less than 5v. All signs seem to point to both chips being duds though this seems unlikely as Trenton_net pointed out as they're different chips from different batches. When I received them in the mail I didn't even take them out of their bags just stashed them away in a safe place until today. I even took the time to cover the area where the chips would go completely with a layer of electrical tape so there is no way I shorted something the first time the systems came on. On top of that I used 1 chip in each console for the first test to rule out the chance that 1 of the consoles would go rogue and kill both chips one after the other.