Thread: [Review] SNES Super Everdrive -English-

Foot Soldier

[Review] SNES Super Everdrive -English-

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    ENGLISH VERSION

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Click to enlarge*

Hello pals!, today I am going to tell you about a new flahscart - although it is been on sale for some time - created by one person, that is right!, all the work and effort involved in the creation, launch, distribution etc. made by one person!!!
    His nickname is Krikzz, he is fond of the scene, and he has come to break his place through the world of retro gaming scene at launching his own flashcarts for Sega Genesis / Megadrive (soon to be reviewed by me) and the Super Nintendo, which is what I come to discuss today because I know that some of you are really interested in reading more about this flashcart in detail, I invite you to read this review and to expect the release of a "video review" on youtube.

Introduction

The Super EverDrive is a flashcart created by Krikzz in Ukraine, it is a cart that will allow you to play in your SNES the roms that you currently use for emulators just like having the original cartridge! The idea of the flashcarts is not new, it is true, for a while there have been some flashcarts in the market, even for this same console, but like any new product it will meet interesting pros and cons that will make it unique, so if you're a gamer that knows it is not the same emulating than playing in the original system you'll want to get one of these. To evaluate if the Super EverDrive is suited to your taste, you have this review to find out. So enjoy reading about these interesting items I've taken my time to write the most complete review!

About the reviewer

My nickname is usually Aleomark, in some webpages of CR I am also known as Sousuke, but internationally and officially I prefer Aleomark, and I want to add in this section that I have already done several reviews in the past, both in English and in Spanish, about flashcarts for different companies and retro scene accessories, so you can take for sure that in my analysis you will find a broad perspective about comparison and, most importantly, neutrality when it comes to analyzing and writing my reviews, I thank those who sponsored my reviews sending me samples, but when doing the analysis I am as objective as possible, so that you, the readers, can make sure you are reading a good review which you may use to base a decision of acquiring the product.

What is the Super Everdrive?

The Super EverDrive, as I mentioned, is a flashcart that allows you play SNES roms on your own system as if it were the original cartridge, it has SD support factory-built in, no additional accessories needed nor interacting with any client / software in the PC, the cart comes ready to play. You only need a SD or microSD with SD adapter -2GB or less-. Format it using the tool menu, add the roms and play!

How does the Super Everdrive looks like?

Ok, two points that I find very positive were already mentioned, SD support and no need to use software / client in the PC to prepare the cart. Now, something not very positive, it can actually be positive if you like customized things, but if doing manual labor is not appealing to you, you receive the product as a bare PCB, as seen in the photo above. When the mail brought the package, I got something like this *:

*Click to enlarge*

The size of the PCB is the standard of original PCB games, so you can place it in any SNES game cart and sacrifice a game for it to donate its case, of course, you also need the bitgamer 3.8mm screwdriver to open the cartridge and to make a hole in the top slot for the SD. Depending on your commitment the finish can be very beautiful or very ugly, in official support forum
    assemblergames you can find labels made by users for sharing or you can create them by yourself with the PC, for example, though I’m not a photoshop master, I did this one by myself:

*Click to enlarge*

So I get to work, found an old game, I chose one with black case and I removed the label without leaving adhesive residues, then I used a cutter to make the hole for the SD, carefully and patiently, to make it as tight as possible, not leaving a hole bigger than necessary, so it will not look bad, I initially paste the label with adhesive mate paper, but the result was a fail:

*Click to enlarge*

So I went to the paper store and bought glossy sticker paper which is very bright, I managed the settings of the printer to appropriately print on that kind of paper -very important- and “ta-dah”, an amazing result, high quality, I am proud of my custom case
    : ), here you can see it:
    *Click to enlarge*

At the end it was fun making this custom case. What took me longer was to make the hole with the cutter-40 minutes-but do it patiently and you will get a nice case for the rest of your life.

* There are people who sell the product with case and label, but it is more expensive.

*You can use a rs-mmc in order to not have to make a hole in your plastic shell.

What does the product include?

Well, there is not much to say nor complications, the product is the Super EverDrive PCB and that is it, but to play you do not need anything else, no need to buy rare memory formats and then surprise yourself at last saying that it is not compatible, accessories are not necessary to read SD because it does so directly, no need of using unstable (due to bugs) client software in PCs, at receiving your cart just adapt a case for the PCB and have a 2GB or less SD (capacity more than enough to have all the SNES roms in your region, many hacks, translated roms, homebrew etc.). However, it does not bring printed instructions (a common problem in almost all flashcarts), although its use is very simple and intuitive. There is a version that includes USB port, this is useful for programmers to easily switch to your homebrew cart without connecting and disconnecting the SD, the USB version is more expensive and you may not need it unless you are a homebrew programmer, the USB port is not used to update the firmware, but to quickly pass homebrew.

Manufacturer Specifications

Flash cart for Super Nintendo systems

+ max supported ROM size up to 48mbit (6mbyte)
    + 32kb FRAM for game saves keep.
    +USB port for homebrew development*
    +OS can be updated from SD or USB
    +saves auto backup/load**
    + save ram data can be stored or loaded from SD card
    + SD/MMC cards support.
    + FAT16 support. 2GB max partition size
    +Supported SD/MMC size 2GB max
    + flashed game will stay in memory after power off. so no need to choice and reflash game after each reset or power off
    +Supported with PAL and NTSC systems
    +Multiregion CIC developed by Ikari_01
    *USB port available only on "Super Everdrive +USB" cart version
    *USB port can be used for OS update, games upload, homebrew software can communicate with PC via virtual serial port interface. All USB port operations controlled by SNES CPU, so USB port can not be used if cart not attached to console.
    ** after or befor game change cart can automatically save and load save data from saves database on SD.

Updating and Support
    In the current version we are on 1.0 firmware and 5.0 OS version, when buying it directly with Krikzz, you can be sure it is updated with the latest OS and firmware, both at this moment are very stable and highly performing, so I do not think they go for new updates (in fact I asked the operator and he thinks they are not needed now). However, if it’s the case the OS is easily updated from the SD. With the firmware it would be more complicated because it would update via JTAG adapter (alteres byte blaster) and an interpreting suite in the PC; nevertheless, with the Super EverDrive this has not been necessary and it seems it will not so, good news for those not very proficient with rare cables and programing. In addition, I've seen in forums that if you have any problems with your hardware Krikzz takes the card back to check it, fix it and returns it to you with no additional cost -at least that's what I've seen until today-. There is an official support forum within Assemblers where you can get help quickly, in English. Link.

Menu
    The menu of the cart is relatively simple, it has a black background with white letters, in the upper left corner you can see the OS version, the B button and / or Start works as "enter", the A button as "return", and the first option "start game" will send you to directly play the game that is in the Flash memory, in "select game" you will browse through the SD, you press up or down for browsing up or down, left / right to move back and forth 24 spaces, I recommend you to have the roms in folders according to their alphabetical order and we should not move through 123 files per directory, with "options" you can access two options that by default are turned "ON",there you can change them to "OFF" and vice versa, with "reset return" you can see if pressing reset takes you back to the cart menu or resets the game and returns to the same game, and the "auto save" you always want it turned "ON" to save our progress. In the tool box we find:

-Save/Load Ram: to download and read the ram to the cart manually.
    -Device Info: shows you the name of the product and other data such as the region of the console, etc.
    -Rom Info: shows you the information of the game that is currently placed in the flashed cart.
    -Format SD: to format the SD.
    The first time you are using it.
    -Update OS: to update the menu from the SD.
    -About: Shows the Developer copyright and links of interesting webpages.

*Click to enlarge*

Even though the menu is boring and easy, a good thing is that it is free of bugs and meets its function, it may not have effects nor bright colors, but it works well. Something negative is that does not include an integrated cheats manager, which would be helpful and give more value to the product, but it could eventually be added with an OS update.

What about compatibility?
    Well, soon I will post a list of games tested with this cart, so far all games I've tried have worked; however, as it is known, the SNES flashcarts do not play games that use special chips embedded in the cartridge, such as SFX chip used in Stunt Race FX, or Star Fox, so do not take care of the special chips used by those games because any of the others must be played without problems.
    Here I show you some catches of games using the Super EverDrive.

*Click to enlarge*

Here you can see how it looks inserted in the SNES.

*Click to enlarge*

Conclusions

The Super EverDrive is a flashcart for the Super Nintendo that constitutes a fourth option (2 of which I have already reviewed so far) with very interesting advantages, I like the facts that it is manufactured with SD support, no need of a T connector for booting up, no need of dealing with PC software to prepare and use it. I do not like that it does not accept SD of larger sizes so far, it is true that larger sizes than 2 GB are not need, but if you want to use any SD already used if it is not 2GB or smaller, it means buying a new one, though they are cheap, the menu is boring but it does meet its job, furthermore, we will not spend hours looking at the menu, we will spend hours playing games xD. Something negative is that it does not play DSP-1 games -at least no right now-, but after all there are only 2 important DSP-1 games: Pilotwings and Mario kart, so you are not missing a whole list of games. Finally, some of you would dislike to receive the PCB without a case, others would not care and others would be encouraged to customize it as they like. Also, the fact of receiving the bare PCB has an important advantage that I have not mentioned so far: the price, it's incredible that nice price. This cart has many pros and some cons, it has almost the same functions as other carts, with the difference that this one is the only one, in this moment, with SD support, what makes it almost irresistible. Finally the game in the flash remains even after turning off the system no matter the time (days, ¿months?, ¿years?), this helps to avoid reflashing specially when you engage in a game and do not play another until you have finished it.

Pros
    • Excellent Compatibility!
    We can play more than 95% of SNES games.
    • No problems with security locks.
    • Good Support.
    • Free Region.
    • Small Price.
    • SD support factory default.
    • Rom keeps on the flash memory even after turning off.

• No need any other cart stuck for footing up.
    - DSP-1 Support ready**

Cons
    • Does not include a case*.
    • Menu is not visually appealing.
    • Does not have Cheat Manager.

*Some resellers sell it with case with extra charge
    **update, only in dsp1 version
    Where can I get one?

retrogate.com
    store.kitsch-bent.com
    stoneagegamer.com
    warnersretrocorner.co.uk

QUICK UPDATE!!! DSP-1 Support Already implemented!

EDIT:

Video review added:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvCt_JMijQ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Links were it has been posted:

http://www.underground-gamer.com/for...1762&page=last
    http://www.bitgamer.com/forums.php?a...9108&page=last
    http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_revie...rdrive_1534615

http://www.mcanime.net/foro/viewtopi...372799#6372799

http://www.bo-anime.com/Foro/index.p...8.html#msg5318

http://cosplaypartycr.com/foro/index.php?topic=5270.0

http://www.imperioanime.com/foro/ind...c,11866.0.html

http://wackoon.com/foro/index.php?showtopic=4608

Last edited by aleomark; 04-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Thanks for review!

Foot Soldier

You're welcome, I'm preparing a review for sega/md everdrive

EDIT:

Video review added:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvCt_JMijQ
    Last edited by aleomark; 12-31-2010 at 02:06 PM.

You mentioned that this is the "fourth" device of this kind you have encountered.
    I'm curious as to what the other three are.
    I know of the MegaDrive/Genesis version of this, and even a cart made by someone else for the NES.
    Or do you mean that all four are SNES carts?
    Any chance you could give me links to the others?
    I am interested in getting a cart like this, and would like to make decision with as much info as possible. I don't want to buy this and discover there's an alternative that would have been a better purchase.

Foot Soldier

I meant there are already 4 flashcarts for super nintendo, I don't think that these is the place for post links about other carts, you should do a little google.

Quote Originally Posted by aleomark View Post
    I meant there are already 4 flashcarts for super nintendo, I don't think that these is the place for post links about other carts, you should do a little google.
    I have searched, and other than Super Everdrive, I only found one other called SNES PowePak. That's why I resorted to asking you directly.
    If you could give me the names of the others, I'd gladly do the legwork and research them for myself.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by Sisee View Post
    I have searched, and other than Super Everdrive, I only found one other called SNES PowePak. That's why I resorted to asking you directly.
    If you could give me the names of the others, I'd gladly do the legwork and research them for myself.
    I think he's talking about official ones too.
    Last edited by Cyantist; 01-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.

[11-05, 20:14] amiga1200: it's fols like YOU that make me empathise with BOMBERS!

[11-05, 20:12] amiga1200:
    @ CUNTIST, i mean cyantist. aren't you on my shitlist? why are you quoting my responses? i'm not getting sucked into your englishness, sorry!

Foot Soldier

there's one old flashcart from tototek, and one more new from retrousb, the one you found from neoflash and this one from krikzz

Thanks.
    After a quick search using that info, I conclude that Super EverDrive is the best one to go with.
    Especially as it is an "all-in-one" device that doesn't need a special method or any extra hardware to put games on it, and it also doesn't need a legit cartridge in a "T-slot" to run it.
    The one from RetreZone (RetroUSB) looks interesting, but there seems to be very little information about it in comparison to Super EverDrive. Not to mention the very large price difference.
    The only catch I see with Super EverDrive is in that it has no cartridge case, unless you buy the "Deluxe" version. But I don't mind modifying a case of my own, I have the skills and equipment to do so.

Thanks for the info, and your review was one of the major factors in my decision.

Combat Soldier

"nally the game in the flash remains even after turning off the system no matter the time (days, ¿months?, ¿years?), this helps to avoid reflashing specially when you engage in a game and do not play another until you have finished it."

If so, how do you get back to the menu ?

Foot Soldier

menu always boots after reset or power off, and you only have to choose "start game" and without waiting, the game starts

Combat Soldier

Oh, ok :)

Thanks for the review, by the way, nicely done.

And you should add as a con the time the game takes to flash.
    But for the price is the best option in the market.

krikzz is a great developer. I've ordered today the snes and the genesis cartridge from him :)

Foot Soldier

Thanks, you're welcome!

I think the flashing time is ok (like 20 secs, more or less, depends on game size), I compared it against neo flash cart and both have similar times, but with super everdrive if you continue playing the same game you don't have to reflash each time you reset or power off
    Last edited by aleomark; 01-16-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Combat Soldier

Neo myth sucks.

I've been digging some informations about their n64 cartridge and the developers here in assembler games are a lot better.

Did you notice that there's a mistake on your label ?
    It's written : Super Everdive. lol

Foot Soldier

yeah my mistake, quick review update done, now it says that it does support dsp1

Conscript

For people wondering:

The Super Everdrive works fine on the Yobo FC 16 GO (a portable snes clone easily findable on ebay).
    My youtube channel about handhelds/video games...:
    http://www.youtube.com/indask8

Foot Soldier

I am so happy with my SNES everdrive. All backup carts should work this good!