Thread: PS2 Test

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

PS2 Test

Can the original PS2 utility disc 1.0 or 1.01 be used on a TEST unit to install a working DVD front end to the memory card? With a view to using FMCB.. or am i barking up the wrong tree entirely.. If so will a burned copy even boot?
    Last edited by cde; 10-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Something about the ps2 test missing the dvd playback firmware on the mainboard

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Yeh, thats what i thought, the first PS2 needs the DVD software to be installed to the memory to enable playback. If the TEST PS2 has no DVD software on the rom i wondered if it would accept the memory card version? and maybe then exploit that to run FMCB?? maybe.. Wheres olivera when you need him.. lol:-)

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    I thought the same thing, using an exploit. I know someone got it working.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Foot Soldier

Like TOOLs, DTL-Hx000x TEST models lack regular encryption/decryption support in their MechaCons, so related features won't work. This includes booting an OSD or DVD player update from memory card, as well as booting a game partition from HDD. If you try to run code that does something like this, it'll usually just hang the machine.

I think DTL-Hx010x models as well as DTL-H50000 (and later) do have decryption support, though, but I never got one and therefore cannot check. Unclejun knows more about this.

If you want to execute homebrew on TESTs, you can simply burn a master disc, or (what I prefer) use the good old Independence exploit to boot uLE.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Thanks SilverBull for clearing that up.. I'm getting a DTL-30001 E and wondered what my .elf booting options were. Don't mind independence or swap magic, just wanted to go easy on the laser..

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Got my TEST, its a DTL30001 E like i said, US model with 240V power supply for UK testing... Laser was gone, so swapped it out for a working unit, no problems. Next question. I can boot both the HDD utility disc and BBnavi discs, no problem when mastered. They both install correctly, but when i try to boot after either install, i get the initial boot screen, then black.. I assume that my DTL does'nt support the HDD from this, but why does it let me install in the first place? I tried the hacked osd from the system partition, run with Ulaunch, and this works great, HDD visable in browser. Have i missed something? Or is this expected from a non HDD compatible TEST. Either way its still cool.. It looks great..:-)

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by cde View Post
    Got my TEST, its a DTL30001 E like i said, US model with 240V power supply for UK testing... Laser was gone, so swapped it out for a working unit, no problems. Next question. I can boot both the HDD utility disc and BBnavi discs, no problem when mastered. They both install correctly, but when i try to boot after either install, i get the initial boot screen, then black.. I assume that my DTL does'nt support the HDD from this, but why does it let me install in the first place? I tried the hacked osd from the system partition, run with Ulaunch, and this works great, HDD visable in browser. Have i missed something? Or is this expected from a non HDD compatible TEST. Either way its still cool.. It looks great..:-)

you need an ORIGINAL sony PS2 HDD because they use magic gate encryption just like the memory cards

thats the only way to use the US hard drisk utility disk

also just like the DVD driver disk it MUST be an ORIGINAL pressed HDD utility or DVD disk or else no worky period not even mod chips make burned DVD driver or HDD disks work

also the BBnavi the Japanese one that installs the fancy new ui is JAPAN ONLY it has stranger security then the DVD and HDD disks

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Yes, I've got a $ony 40gb hdd, so that's ok. But if you can only use a pressed utility disc, why has somebody made a patched version, to be burned to cd? I can only presume that when it tries to boot, it fails Magicgate protection, and hangs on a black screen. Thats why I thought the first utility disc, not the hdd utility, the DVD install disc, that came with the launch ps2 consoles in japan, might install to the memory card the files needed.. Next thing is finding that disc... Lol.
    I think it's PBPX-5xxxx,
    Last edited by cde; 10-31-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Combat Soldier

Yes, I've got a $ony 40gb hdd, so that's ok. But if you can only use a pressed utility disc, why has somebody made a patched version, to be burned to cd? I can only presume that when it tries to boot, it fails Magicgate protection, and hangs on a black screen. Thats why I thought the first utility disc, not the hdd utility, the DVD install disc, that came with the launch ps2 consoles in japan, might install to the memory card the files needed.. Next thing is finding that disc... Lol.
    I think it's PBPX-5xxxx,

ok then well if your just wanting FMCB on a test ps2 then you might wanna talk to the creators of FMCB

http://psx-scene.com/forums/official...c-boot-forums/

the security has something to do with the mechacon that mod chips just mangle so thats why modchips wont allow even the DVD driver or HDD format disk to work unless its the pressed version and mod chip disabled

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

a hacked bbnavi disk was built that had the non-legit HDD patch, patch for both video modes, ability to install on every machine and be used from them.
    however, only the linux RTS is able to boot it on non japanese units due to the whatever-the-hell-it-is sony made to lock it out of any non-japanese unit.
    the disk also contained the hdd utility thing that would add the HDD icon in the ps2 OSD. I never got it working on a PAL console with unofficial HDD though.

patched bbnavi on pal V9, modchip enabled and with unofficial 80gb hdd clicky for pic :)
    Last edited by Mugi; 11-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.

ASSEMbler Elite

They both install correctly, but when i try to boot after either install, i get the initial boot screen, then black.. I assume that my DTL does'nt support the HDD from this, but why does it let me install in the first place? I tried the hacked osd from the system partition, run with Ulaunch, and this works great, HDD visable in browser. Have i missed something? Or is this expected from a non HDD compatible TEST. Either way its still cool.. It looks great..:-)
    Same issue as Silverbull points here:

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBull View Post
    Like TOOLs, DTL-Hx000x TEST models lack regular encryption/decryption support in their MechaCons, so related features won't work. This includes booting an OSD or DVD player update from memory card, as well as booting a game partition from HDD.
    Basically the OSD is Magic Gate encrypted and most DEV hardware have that function crippled on the mechacon firmware.

HDD OSD is MG encrypted in the same way as MC update stuff. Still it's quite surprising that your unit was able to load the installer.

The installer is MG Encrypted as well. Are you sure you're not using some hacked ISO of the utility disc ?

I remember making such a "fix" on a US 1.00 HDD utility disc years ago. It was the vanilla ISO with LBA modding the main elf file to point into a certain empty sector of the disc and there an decrypted elf of the disc was pasted... :lol:

Could you open the main disc elf and check if there's a bunch of text on the footer of the file ? lol
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Thanks for clearing that up.. If as you say the mecha con is crippled and will never accept an update, could you re- compile FMCB (i know thats more difficult than it sounds) to look for mc0 rather that rom0 and put the kelf at mc0 instead... For FMCB to decrypt? Or do you have to install bb nav, or hdd browser, and edit the boot path? Of the hdd to boot from memory card osd rather than hdd osd? By- passing the TESTs inability to boot, it might also improve early ps2 compatability Sorry if this is all super noob stuff, I just find it all fascinating!!! Lovin my TEST all the same.

I did use a hacked version of bbnav 3.2, and it installs fine, but I also tried a normal version of 3.0, and this also installs too. The hdd utility (1.1)is patched for pal Y fix, but must be patched to boot also, after what you've said, both versions of bb nav boot on my pal ps2 using the Linux hack, but have all the usual limitations.. The only disc I don't have, so can't test, is the first DVD update utility disc, that came with launch Japanese consoles. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by cde; 11-01-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Additions

Combat Soldier

Thanks for clearing that up.. If as you say the mecha con is crippled and will never accept an update, could you re- compile FMCB (i know thats more difficult than it sounds) to look for mc0 rather that rom0 and put the kelf at mc0 instead... For FMCB to decrypt? Or do you have to install bb nav, or hdd browser, and edit the boot path? Of the hdd to boot from memory card osd rather than hdd osd? By- passing the TESTs inability to boot, it might also improve early ps2 compatability Sorry if this is all super noob stuff, I just find it all fascinating!!! Lovin my TEST all the same.

I did use a hacked version of bbnav 3.2, and it installs fine, but I also tried a normal version of 3.0, and this also installs too. The hdd utility (1.1)is patched for pal Y fix, but must be patched to boot also, after what you've said, both versions of bb nav boot on my pal ps2 using the Linux hack, but have all the usual limitations.. The only disc I don't have, so can't test, is the first DVD update utility disc, that came with launch Japanese consoles. Thanks guys.

youll have to ask at the link i gave you

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Yes, I should try there. Thanx.. Just enjoy talking with the people here, and not a member there.. Thinking about my previous post. I don't think the re-compiled FMCB will work! , even if successful. Perhaps the hdd mods though?:-)
    Last edited by cde; 11-01-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Combat Soldier

Yes, I should try there. Thanx..

your welcome and good luck :)