Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N64 S-video?

I post here on the toilet sometimes. ASSEMbler Soldier

N64 S-video?

I heard that some N64's are not compatible with S-Video. Is this true? I read online that when the multicolored N64s were released the board had S-video support removed. Can anyone confirm this?

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

I'm don't know about the multicolored ones, but mine (the dark-greyish model) supports S-Video - or at least it seems to. That is, if I connect it to a TV via S-Video then an image comes up. However, I'm wondering if it's actually an S-Video image or if it's just a composite image conveyed over an S-Video cable. Is that possible? The reason I ask is because it's hard to tell the difference between S-Video and composite on the N64.

Foot Soldier

N64 Coder Combat Soldier

I've not ever seen a N64 that doesn't output S-video.

upon research the only people i see talking about it being missing is the PAL N64.

Foot Soldier

I think they might have it confused with being able to do the RGB modification on PAL N64's.
    Last edited by emu_kidid; 06-07-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Foot Soldier

Some people say that the later consoles doesn't have S-Video.

And some say that you need to "mod" a S-Video cable for it to work in the N64, or it'll be too bright or too dark.

But just the PAL consoles.

You can look here.

Some quotes:
    "Star Wars Racer N64, PAL UK (released around 1999)
    It produces a picture but it's wayyyy too bright."

"Super Mario 64 N64, PAL UK (released around 2001)
    This console doesn't output a picture at all with the S-video cable. I get sound but just a black screen. It's obviously not s-video compatible."

"Clear Red N64, NTSC Japan (released around 2001)
    No problems at all; not too bright, looks good."

on this note - does the SNES 2 have S-video? I have an SNES model 2 and I'm using an S-video cable o it...but everywhere on the internet says it doesn't? If I plug an SNES Svideo cable into it, and it isn't compatible won't it just not work? or will it give me a composite signal?

Foot Soldier

It shouldn't output video.
    You can "look" (inside) at the plug that goes in the console and see where there's metal.
    On the right side (plug facing you), up is Left Audio and down is Right Audio.
    The Composite Video is beside the Left Audio (up)
    The S-Video is beside the Composite Video, up and down (because it uses two channels, of course...)
    So the pins of a S-Video cable should have a space between Audio and Video.

So, what this bullshit about the cable pinout have to do about your Snes?
    Well, If the cable is like this one described, then the console outputs S-Video. (you should do the world a favor and report the model to gamesx website =P)

If your cable is using the pin beside the Left Audio then it's Composite.
    (But I don't know if using a composite signal will work in the S-Video input of a TV)
    (A guy told me once that he used an adapter and did exatly this, but the TV image was weird, with some lines passing by, but it was working.)

So only you can tell us if you are using a composite signal on the S-video input of the TV or if your Snes baby really outputs S-video. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    It shouldn't output video.
    You can "look" (inside) at the plug that goes in the console and see where there's metal.
    On the right side (plug facing you), up is Left Audio and down is Right Audio.
    The Composite Video is beside the Left Audio (up)
    The S-Video is beside the Composite Video, up and down (because it uses two channels, of course...)
    So the pins of a S-Video cable should have a space between Audio and Video.

So, what this bullshit about the cable pinout have to do about your Snes?
    Well, If the cable is like this one described, then the console outputs S-Video. (you should do the world a favor and report the model to gamesx website =P)

If your cable is using the pin beside the Left Audio then it's Composite.
    (But I don't know if using a composite signal will work in the S-Video input of a TV)
    (A guy told me once that he used an adapter and did exatly this, but the TV image was weird, with some lines passing by, but it was working.)

So only you can tell us if you are using a composite signal on the S-video input of the TV or if your Snes baby really outputs S-video. =)
    I just did the StarFox test.

here,

composite

S-video.

Obviously, it's a different video output. you can see the checkerboard effect on the s-video that can be seen in emulation, and is covered up by composite and RF by the blurring the format causes.

so...who has SNES2 and wants to plug in a gamecube S-Video cable and squash this urban legend?

Combat Soldier

The SNES 2/Jr must be modded to support S-Video, you can see that the S-Video pins on the 'S-RGB A' video encoder chip are not connected from the pictures in this RGB mod guide:-
    http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:snes2rgb

Also, straight from Nintendo here:-
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ook_svideo.jsp
    "Note: The S-Video cables are not compatible with the redesigned Super Nintendo."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also the person who expanded that Nintendo region/cable chart linked in the third post, and over the years I have learnt a lot about the N64's S-Video, so i'll explain what I know.

All N64's have the S-Video pins connected to the 'MULTI OUT' port on the back of the system. However, on PAL systems the S-Video output is not really usable 'as is' - it needs extra components inside the cables plug to make the signals useable.

Nintendo started doing this 'extra components in video cables' with the PAL SNES, and I can only assume they did it to act as a form of 'region locking' on accessories, much like they did with the PAL NES and PAL SNES controllers:-
    http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=c...con_region_fix

Obviously, because the SNES, N64 and GameCube all used the same 'MULTI OUT' video port Nintendo Europe had to continue using this 'components in cables' system for three console generations, even having to add extra components inside the later consoles to 'counteract' the components inside the cables :rolleyes:

On the 1st revision PAL N64 motherboard there are actually empty solder pads where these components should have been, as you can see from my pics in this thread:-
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3203.40
    I made a diagram showing the components needed to fix S-Video on a PAL N64 in this thread:-
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3460.0

Its worth noting that their seems to be two distinct issues I have seen mentioned about N64 S-Video output:-

1) PAL N64's usually have a washed out overbright image due to the missing components that should have been in the console (or the cable) This can be fixed by adding the missing components as mentioned above. NTSC N64 consoles should not be affected by this issue.

2) I have heard it mentioned quite a few times that some PAL and NTSC N64 consoles have a 'netting' issue where small dots appear in a net across the screen. Its not clear what causes this, it could be a poor quality S-Video cable, or it might be that the DAC/Video Encoders used in later model N64's were poorly designed and are actually adding these 'dots' to the picture itself.

I dont have any N64's that have this 'netting' issue with dots on the screen when using S-Video, so I have not been able to troubleshoot it by narrowing down the variables.

I hope that helps :-)
    Last edited by link83; 06-08-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    I just did the StarFox test.

Obviously, it's a different video output. you can see the checkerboard effect on the s-video that can be seen in emulation, and is covered up by composite and RF by the blurring the format causes.

so...who has SNES2 and wants to plug in a gamecube S-Video cable and squash this urban legend?
    Just look in the cable to be sure, if there's a space between audio and video then there's no composite video going on that cable.

Btw, is your Snes a PAL console?

Quote Originally Posted by link83 View Post
    The SNES 2/Jr must be modded to support S-Video, you can see that the S-Video pins on the 'S-RGB A' video encoder chip are not connected from the pictures in this RGB mod guide:-
    http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:snes2rgb

Also, straight from Nintendo here:-
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ook_svideo.jsp
    "Note: The S-Video cables are not compatible with the redesigned Super Nintendo."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also the person who expanded that Nintendo region/cable chart linked in the third post, and over the years I have learnt a lot about the N64's S-Video, so i'll expain what I know.

All N64's have the S-Video pins connected to the 'MULTI OUT' port on the back of the system. However, on PAL systems the S-Video output is not really usable 'as is' - it needs extra components inside the cables plug to make the signals useable.

Nintendo started doing this 'extra components in video cables' with the PAL SNES, and I can only assume they did it to act as a form of 'region locking' on accessories, much like they did with the PAL NES and PAL SNES controllers:-
    http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=c...con_region_fix

Obviously, because the SNES, N64 and GameCube all used the same 'MULTI OUT' video port Nintendo Europe had to continue using this 'components in cables' system for three console generations, even having to add extra components inside the later consoles to 'counteract' the components inside the cables :rolleyes:

On the 1st revision PAL N64 motherboard there are actually empty solder pads where these components should have been, as you can see from my pics in this thread:-
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3203.40
    I made a diagram showing the components needed to fix S-Video on a PAL N64 in this thread:-
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3460.0

Its worth noting that their seems to be two distinct issues I have seen mentioned about N64 S-Video output:-

1) PAL N64's usually have a washed out overbright image due to the missing components that should have been in the console (or the cable) This can be fixed by adding the missing components as mentioned above. NTSC N64 consoles should not be affected by this issue.

2) I have heard it mentioned quite a few times that some PAL and NTSC N64 consoles have a 'netting' issue where small dots appear in a net across the screen. Its not clear what causes this, it could be a poor quality S-Video cable, or it might be that the DAC/Video Encoders used in later model N64's were poorly designed and are actually adding these 'dots' to the picture itself.

I dont have any N64's that have this 'netting' issue with dots on the screen when using S-Video, so I have not been able to troubleshoot it by narrowing down the variables.

That's fascinating. Thank you to investigate it.

This PAL thing is weird... You guys could make a list with the cables and consoles variations. Too bad almost no one cares about these things now. =/

I wonder how many europeans have bought ordinary S-Video cables from eBay and doesn't get what was expected...

* But, if Mr. XxHennersXx is saying that his Snes Baby is outputting S-Video, that should be considered too.

I bought it second hand spring of 2001 at a thrift shop, I've been thinking perhaps it was s-video modded? Best find EVER in my collection then eh? Haha. I'll buy a new gamebit and take a look, as for if the cable is out putting s video - rouge im not sure exactly what you want me to look at. could you show me a diagram

Foot Soldier

Nah, you can disconsider that.

I told you to look into the gray(for the original cable) plug, to the contacts inside the plug (they can be seen). It's because there's a possibility of your cable getting the composite signal and splitting into the two of the s-video plug.
    I don't even know if it will work that way. I was told it does.
    But it's very unlikely.
    And if the cable works with another console, then it really can't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Nah, you can disconsider that.

I told you to look into the gray(for the original cable) plug, to the contacts inside the plug (they can be seen). It's because there's a possibility of your cable getting the composite signal and splitting into the two of the s-video plug.
    I don't even know if it will work that way. I was told it does.
    But it's very unlikely.
    And if the cable works with another console, then it really can't be the case.
    well the cable was bought for n64/gamecube. and it worked with them before. it's by pelican i believe.

are you telling me to look at the contacts on the CABLE or the contacts inside the nintendo? the nintendo has all the plugs there

Member Hardcore

As link83 already stated you need a special PAL S-Video cable otherwise the colors are too bright. I have both, the PAL and the NTSC S-Video cable. The PAL S-Video cable is thicker than the NTSC cable because of the extra components. So you can easily recognize it.

btw, according to Wikipedia (German) the Clear Blue model does not support S-Video:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#cite_ref-3

I think it's this model because it's the latest model released in Germany:
    Last edited by mdmx; 06-08-2010 at 06:04 PM.

well it's a third party cable...so...

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    well the cable was bought for n64/gamecube. and it worked with them before. it's by pelican i believe.

are you telling me to look at the contacts on the CABLE or the contacts inside the nintendo? the nintendo has all the plugs there
    The cable.

But it should be a S-Video cable, of course. They'll never sell a cable that does what I've said.
    Last edited by Rogue; 06-09-2010 at 11:36 AM.

ASSEMbler Soldier

I got 7 monster s-video cables i'm trying to get rid off.... cheap... maybe very cheap if you take em all.... just saying.

randyrandall

Mine has the 'netting' issue. I have noticed it often- it seems to be more prominent with certain colours. There is one mini-game in a Mario Party game that is smothered in them. Same results on different TVs- always just assumed it wa a characteristic of the N64.
    Last edited by randyrandall; 06-13-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast