Site Supporter 2013
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Studio Liverpool shut down

Grabbed from WipeoutZone:

Studio Liverpool Internal Development shut down by Sony
    January 29th 2010

It's with a heavy heart I report that Sony Computer Entertainment has taken the decision to terminate almost everyone at Studio Liverpool Internal Development today.

This essentially brings to an end a long history of game development at Studio Liverpool, formarly Psygnosis.

I feel privileged to have been a part of it for six years. Right now, I don't have a whole lot to say other than to hope that all the great folks who worked there can find new jobs soon.

----

This is quite sad indeed. Psygnosis was one of the companies that helped the PlayStation "rise" with games like Wipeout , Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, Rollcage,...

I'm glad i got Wipeout HD + Fury in blu-ray. I guess it makes even more important now.

Farewell GT5. Rest in Peace

Gran Turismo Freak
    Site Supporter 2013
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

It's seems Sony will "merge" Studio Liverpool with Evolution Studios (Motorstorm / Motorstorm Pacific Rift):

Sony 'restructuring' Studio Liverpool
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/28/so...dio-liverpool/

Things sound pretty rough for Sony's SCE Studio Liverpool. Following the merging of Wipeout HD developer Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) with Evolution Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment announced that it is "restructuring" the studio. According to GamesIndustry.biz, it is currently unknown how many jobs will be affected. Evidently, Sony is looking to relocate staff rather than lay them off, though, as GI puts it, "some redundancies may be necessary."

In a statement, SCE said that "production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation," and assured that "this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms." Except, of course, for the part of its role that included making those unspecified projects.

Barc0de's Pimp Combat Soldier

I know we have at least 1 person on the boards from Studio Liverpool and I know a few others who work there. Fingers crossed their jobs are secure.

Combat Soldier

I remember playing psygnosis games back in the Amiga days. It was nice to see them get some recognition with the ps1 titles. I was just playing G Police a month or so ago. Great, classic game studio that always delivered quality.

In the film Hackers, they show a concept video of Wipeout thats completely different then what ended up in the game. I wonder if a prototype with that sort of gameplay exists and if now we'll ever see it considering whats happening to the studio.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by DeckardBR
    I remember playing psygnosis games back in the Amiga days.
    Yeah, same here.
    This is kinda sad news, as with every of the "old school" studios.

Psygnosis games have always been among the best....

Well, even if Sony doesn't keep everyone, I suppose they are skilled enough at what they do to get a new job pretty quick.... at least I hope it.
    *meow

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    They sold their soul when they became part of sony.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

I sure hope the member I know that works for them is going to have a job at the end of this. Bad news indeed. If it wasn't for Sony Liverpool the PSX would have never have gainedthe following it did in the UK so fast.

Yakumo

Conscript

Thanks people.. I dodged the bullet...

Im safe.. but that doesn't mean I'm happy...far from it. There is hardly anything left now... the amount of good people that went yesterday is disgusting... and some of the names that have gone is beyond a joke.

We haven't merged with Evo... they have came in and just bulldozed us. They don't care about our history and what we stand for.. making QUALITY games..that score 90+% on metacritic.. rather than generic shovel ware.

Or management went.. our projects, now 50% of the staff.. we find out our 'future' on Monday... but I fear a knock out punch is coming.
    Last edited by nocomply; 01-30-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Its impossible to describe the smell of a wet cat.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Fingers crossed for you mate!!

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by nocomply

Im safe.. but that doesn't mean I'm happy...far from it. There is hardly anything left now... the amount of good people that went yesterday is disgusting... and some of the names that have gone is beyond a joke.

We haven't merged with Evo... they have came in and just bulldozed us. They don't care about our history and what we stand for.. making QUALITY games..that score 90+% on metacritic.. rather than generic shovel ware.

Or management went.. our projects, now 50% of the staff.. we find out our 'future' on Monday... but I fear a knock out punch is coming.
    The way Sony is going they'll have you guys making hats for the EyePet, I would say they've lost the plot this generation but Sony Europe has always been half assed.

Gran Turismo Freak
    Site Supporter 2013
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Sad to hear that. :-(

I don't understand why Sony did this to a Studio that ALWAYS made great games. :banghead:

Hoping those people get jobs asap and that you manage to keep yours.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.

KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!! ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Cosidering gameloft's success with outsourcing I guess we will be seeing more and more studios like this being destroyed in the name of profit margins.

Once you can secure a company overseas with a mildly qualified coder workforce all you need is a "creative team" (marketing guys) and enough capital to push the game in retail.

they have came in and just bulldozed us. They don't care about our history and what we stand for.. making QUALITY games..that score 90+% on metacritic.. rather than generic shovel ware.
    Ironic, considering execs tend to push devs all the time based in metacritic scores. There was an article describing just how much wall street relies on it when trading (game companies) stock.

Guess they can axe anyone whenever they want, no excuses given.
    Last edited by Shadowlayer; 01-30-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff

ASSEMbler Soldier

Blog Entries
    damn, they were one of the few high quality devvers out there!

Join the HROST Project!

I'll create a monument to non-existance! Kefka, FFVI
    "there is no dark side of the Moon really... as a matter of fact it's all dark" (words hidden in pink floyd's "Eclipse" song )

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiii Member Elite

This is terrible, i remember back in the day playing many PS1 games made by
    Psygnosis as well as many games that had the Psygnosis name on them.

They always made great games and as stated in another post a little back helped the original playstation in the UK.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Two amazing studios sony have acquired and shut down now. Team Soho: known mostly for The Getaway and its sequel Black Monday

[11-05, 20:14] amiga1200: it's fols like YOU that make me empathise with BOMBERS!

[11-05, 20:12] amiga1200:
    @ CUNTIST, i mean cyantist. aren't you on my shitlist? why are you quoting my responses? i'm not getting sucked into your englishness, sorry!

TIGERRRRRR!
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by Kron
    The way Sony is going they'll have you guys making hats for the EyePet, I would say they've lost the plot this generation but Sony Europe has always been half assed.
    This is a BS statement. However, since Phil left Sony, it has not been the same in SCEE.

Good luck NoComply. I have been a big fan of your group's work for a long time, I hope the future ends up being rosy for you all.
    Last edited by Taucias; 01-30-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Anthaemia.: Anyway, that's enough crazy ranting and wild speculation for now...
    ASSEMbler: Please don't invite him here, there's no room for crazies here we're full up.
    Barc0de: I m biased for Nintendo

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM elite

There is hardly anything left now... the amount of good people that went yesterday is disgusting... and some of the names that have gone is beyond a joke.

Time to go pillaging ;-) Any Saturn-era stuff left? lol
    Neo-geo.com - fuelling Dion's ego for the past 10 years!

Foot Soldier

Wouldn't it be possible that all go out, leave Sony and (re)found Psygnosis outside SCEE again?

Might a stupid idea/suggestion, sorry, but just coming to mind....
    *meow

gigalo mascarading as a simple gamer ASSEMbler Acolyte
    Paragon

I m glad I paid a visit while it was still up and running :(
    You can ask for any old woman
    You can ask for an army of ants
    You can ask for a pillar of poison
    You can ask for sheep and shavers

And you can die for
    Be careful what you wish for

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcat
    Wouldn't it be possible that all go out, leave Sony and (re)found Psygnosis outside SCEE again?

Might a stupid idea/suggestion, sorry, but just coming to mind....
    Sony would more than likely hold the rights to the name Psygnosis and Studio liverpool. Itd be hard to get off the ground cos they probably can't take the dev kits with them i dont think.

[11-05, 20:14] amiga1200: it's fols like YOU that make me empathise with BOMBERS!

[11-05, 20:12] amiga1200:
    @ CUNTIST, i mean cyantist. aren't you on my shitlist? why are you quoting my responses? i'm not getting sucked into your englishness, sorry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast