Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gameboy dot matrix question

Foot Soldier

gameboy dot matrix question

Ok, so the DMG gameboy uses a dot matrix screen. What about it's offspring?

Gameboy pocket?

gameboy light?

gameboy color?

gameboy advance?

gameboy advance sp?

are any of these dot matrix or are they LCD? I dont know the difference.

N64 Coder Combat Soldier

All Gameboys before the Color are probably STN, after are all TFT.

I think that even the first GBA was STN. They become TFT from the GBA SP.
    But I might be wrong. :)

Foot Soldier

what is STN and TFT?

They are two different tecnologies used to manufacture LCD displays; STN stands for "super twisted nematic display", TFT is the acronym of "thin film transistor".

I'm not a LCD expert so I can't give you an explanation about the differencies of these two technologies but I found these Wikipedia pages that might help you..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-twisted_nematic_display
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

(sorry for my English if I made any errors)
    Last edited by Supersonic; 05-20-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Foot Soldier

Is the original Gameboy screen at once both dot matrix and LCD?

The GameBoy screen is an LCD. It's a matrix of 160x144 dots (or pixels).

Foot Soldier

ok. so each generation of gameboy , it screen i mean, is one technology? compatable with each other (more or less).

i could (in theory) replace a dead gb screen with a gb pocket screen? how about a gb color screen?

ASSEMbler Elite

Just mentioning... All kinds of screens mentioned are just *subtypes* of LCD displays. So all Gameboy consoles use LCDs. It's just that early (B&W) models used the STN type of LCD.

And "Dot Matrix Graphics" on the original GB front intended to mean that it used a matrix of dots to draw pictures instead of the fixed shapes seen on the original Game and Watch LCDs.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira
    Just mentioning... All kinds of screens mentioned are just *subtypes* of LCD displays. So all Gameboy consoles use LCDs. It's just that early (B&W) models used the STN type of LCD.

And "Dot Matrix Graphics" on the original GB front intended to mean that it used a matrix of dots to draw pictures instead of the fixed shapes seen on the original Game and Watch LCDs.
    thank you, that's very well put. it really makes sense in the context of 1989 too.

So I have a Gamate (1990 taiwanese reverse engineered gameboy) with a dead screen. I'd like to transplant a better screen into it, but before I do, i'd like a better understanding of the range of donor candidates. I can't think of anyreason why Gameboy Pocket or Gameboy Light wouldn't work. Does anyone think otherwise? How about gameboy color or advance?

Foot Soldier

or a neo geo pocket??

randyrandall
    Wouldn't they have different connectors? If the resolution is different, too, that might screw things up. I'm not an expert, but I would assume that these parts are not interchangeable- they are too different.. different power, resolution, connections, etc etc etc..

Foot Soldier

you could be right. Intuitively, it makes sense that I could swap a screen that was of higher quality, but from the same generation. If the connection is not a perfect fit, I guess it could be tinkered with. Whether any of my hunches are correct, I have no idea.

Each display could have different data deconding/latching logic.

Foot Soldier

Uh, your defiantly talking over my head. Could you give me that again in layman's terms?

randyrandall
    Each screen could interpret the video signal (or data) that the device generates in a different way.

E.g. A Lynx screen will not work in a Game Boy because the Lynx generates different video data; the screen understands and utilizes different code to the Game Boy screen.

Foot Soldier

ok, I think i'm beginning to get it. Sounds like my original plan has little chance of working (I guess it ultimately depends on to what degree the hardware inside the Gamate, is ripped from a gameboy).

Why do folks making portable versions of home consoles (like N64) have so many options when it comes to choosing a screen? PS1, dvd players, etc.?

could one for example, put a gameboy pocket screen into a DMG gameboy?

Are screens (like the ones being discussed) usually developed in-house ?

ASSEMbler Elite

Because the screens used in such mods is compatible with standard TV video signals. (RGB or composite video) while screens used on portable devices (like the Gameboy or newer systems) use digital RGB or even LCD specific formats.

Foot Soldier

i wonder if anyone has ever hacked a portable's screen to make it read a signal it wasn't originally intended to read.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdman
    i wonder if anyone has ever hacked a portable's screen to make it read a signal it wasn't originally intended to read.
    It depends on the video decoder the lcd has on board. Some have chips that are able to work with certain video signals, but have no connections for them.
    A good example is using s-video on a PAL psone screen.

Basically, if the portable has a decoder that is capable of reading the signal, it is possible. If not you would have to use some sort of video conversion. Kevin Horton has done this do use a Sega Nomad for his portable nes. It's called the Portendo, look it up.
    Last edited by c_rpg; 05-23-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast