Thread: The best gaming laptop with blu-ray burner

Combat Soldier

The best gaming laptop with blu-ray burner

I'm trying to find a laptop that is up to snuff when it comes to newer PC games like Fallout 3, etc.

I'd also like it to have a decent blu-ray burner.

Can anyone suggest a good notebook?

I hear the Sony VGNFW270J/W is good anyone know of anything better.
    Follow me on Twitter…
    http://twitter.com/#!/LimeNights

What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch! ASSEMbler Soldier

i think you will be looking at a rather limited number of models meeting these criteria right now.

the sony is okay i guess. how about you go into a computer store and have some purchase advice. you can always buy somewhere else afterwards ;-)

ASSEMbler Soldier

Don't buy Sony laptops. From the ones I've seen, they are overpriced and their build quality is generally poor.

There is a collective groan from my coworkers whenever one enters the shop.

Just the other day we had to reformat one, and the function keys refused to work, even after all of the drivers were installed. Someone finally "fixed" it by hitting one of the function keys REALLY hard, and it continued to work after that. Unprofessional, but we had tried everything else and it was the only thing that worked.

What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch! ASSEMbler Soldier

ouch, think sony has to polish up its image.

ASSEMbler Soldier

i went to a sony store recently, and their 13"? laptop felt pretty sturdy.

Insert relevant title here Member Elite

Toshiba have their Qosmio series which are high end gaming laptops with blueray drives and i think Acer also has a simmilair series called Gemstone Blue which also has blueray and highend gaming hardware. Neither will be cheap though at around the $2000 entry mark

Combat Soldier

Nah I'm looking for something cheaper
    Follow me on Twitter…
    http://twitter.com/#!/LimeNights

ASSEMbler Soldier

"Cheap" and Blu-ray are not synonymous. Good luck.

Foot Soldier

"Gaming-friendly laptop" and "cheap" don't go together.
    Marketplace Feedback
    XBL GT - EvilWays1 | PSN ID - EvilWays1 (currently no PS3) | Steam ID - EvilWays1

Insert relevant title here Member Elite

As said above you won't find blueray and cheap together since they only come with the high end range of laptop and they just start at $1000+ and then towards $2000+ if you want descent game able hardware. Good luck on the hunt though

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Alienware, Asus, or HP.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Just to reiterate what others in this thread have said: Sony laptops are crap, and gaming/blu-ray laptops are not cheap.

It was also mentioned in another thread recently but bears repeating: laptops really aren't good gaming devices. They get too hot when they're under load for long periods of time, they aren't good for you ergonomically, and they do not represent value for money vs. a similarly-spec'd desktop. Unless you really, really HAVE to play Crisis on the train you're much better off with a desktop, and you'll probably get more life out of it too.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Get a subminiture laptop or whatever mr. casual called it =)

ASSEMbler Soldier

Don't buy HP. A lot of their laptop lines have an engineering defect which causes traces to go bad on the motherboard. In my experience, the wireless is the first thing to go bad, and full motherboard failure is the eventual result.

They'll replace it, but their support is *terrible*. I've read all sorts of horror stories about people getting back laptops that aren't theirs, or there will be physical damage to the top of the case, or the problem isn't fixed, and etc. I feel bad every time I tell one of our clients to call HP and talk to their tech support.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Having spent many interminable hours on the phone to HP's technical "support", in various different capacities, I will vouch for that. You'll get handed around 6 different departments before you get someone who isn't lazy/a completely fucking moron, and even then they'll try and screw you over (if you have an extended warranty - expect to have to fight to prove you bought it in the first place, and God help you if you don't have the paperwork). If it was one case where they'd been a pain in the ass I wouldn't bother mentioning it, but it's pretty much every encounter, and there's no way to dress the facts up - they're routinely, endemically incompetent. One time they refused to replace a printer, hung up on me, and three days later a new one came anyway. I can't imagine what kind of circus they must be running over at HP headquarters.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

:dance: I just bought myself a lovely 2.5ghz duo core, 4gb ddr3 ram, nvidia 8600gt 512mb ram, 250gb hdd 7200rpm, 15 inch screen 1450x900 macbook pro of ebay for studies, project and of course gaming. From ebay.:dance:

Now i just hope that damn video card won't overheat and fuck up. :banghead:

Seriously, as for BD drives, seriously, it's a fun thing to have and i'd love to have one, but internet will give you all the hd you need pretty soon.
    "(...)A One World Government and one-unit monetary system, under permanent non-elected hereditary oligarchists who self-select from among their numbers in the form of a feudal system as it was in the Middle Ages. In this One World entity, population will be limited by restrictions on the number of children per family, diseases, wars, famines, until 1 billion people who are useful to the ruling class, in areas which will be strictly and clearly defined, remain as the total world population." Dont let media feed you with lies. open your eyes and search information yourself.

Combat Soldier

Hp Dv5t, its a great laptop I bet that for 1200 you could probably configure it with a 9600gt and a bluray drive.

Its the high end budget computer, I have had it for over a month and its great for gaming.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Quote Originally Posted by LEo
    Hp Dv5t, its a great laptop I bet that for 1200 you could probably configure it with a 9600gt and a bluray drive.

Its the high end budget computer, I have had it for over a month and its great for gaming.

That's the model i was talkign about! The 9600GT can handle Fallout 3 easy as pie.

I'd wait towards Christmas or shortly after because nVidia just rolled out new c hipsets for laptops and you really won't see them in reasonable prices until then...
    Last edited by madhatter256; 11-11-2008 at 07:31 AM.