PDA

View Full Version : External composite/s-video to RGB converter?

Fandangos
12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey,

I'll replace my Sony Trinitron 38" for an EAGO arcade monitor of the same size (yeah I've found one!) and it's RGB only, like any other arcade monitor.

So most of my consoles are on RGB already and some still need to be modded like the 3DO and the PC-Engine Duo RX.

My question points to the consoles that can't be RGB modded like the Atari 2600/5200/7800, intellivision, odyssey 2.

Most of those consoles are already modded to s-video so is there any external converter to get RGB out of s-video/composite?
I believe people used to hook the atari 2600 to arcade monitors in the past but I have no idea how they managed to do so.

MottZilla
12-11-2012, 09:05 PM
If you ever find something at a reasonable price that can take S-Video and convert it to RGB (particularly a SCART plug) I'd be interested. I haven't looked extensively but I haven't seen anything yet. I have a Sony monitor that takes only Composite and RGB. Unfortunately the GameCube and N64 only do up to S-Video unless I want to mod the N64 or import a PAL GameCube and mod it.

Fandangos
12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
The n64 mod is really easy and as far as I know the gamecube can output RGB.

I still haven't found anything but I'll post here if pops up.

Lum
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
The n64 mod is really easy and as far as I know the gamecube can output RGB.

I still haven't found anything but I'll post here if pops up.

NTSC gamecube doesn't output RGB.

reprep
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
If you ever find something at a reasonable price that can take S-Video and convert it to RGB (particularly a SCART plug) I'd be interested. I haven't looked extensively but I haven't seen anything yet. I have a Sony monitor that takes only Composite and RGB. Unfortunately the GameCube and N64 only do up to S-Video unless I want to mod the N64 or import a PAL GameCube and mod it.

Does your TV accept RGB through scart plug? if so it will most possibly accept s-video too with a passive adapter like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-Scart-to-Composite-RCA-S-Video-Audio-AV-TV-Adapter-hot-K0E1-/230852465291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bfe1128b

ccovell
12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
The X-RGB2 and 2plus have a super mode where you can set the output to 15khz/60Hz RGB, compatible with arcade monitors / old PC monitors. I use this to connect my systems to a monitor via S-Video:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/urananiwa2.htm

It's one idea.

Fandangos
12-14-2012, 12:16 AM
wow, using a whole X-RGB2 just for outputting RGB is kind like killing an ant with a bazooka.
I bet there might be a CI that can do it people aren't just familiar with that.

How much one of those cost?

MottZilla
12-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Does your TV accept RGB through scart plug? if so it will most possibly accept s-video too with a passive adapter like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-Scart-to-Composite-RCA-S-Video-Audio-AV-TV-Adapter-hot-K0E1-/230852465291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bfe1128b

I do not have a TV. I have a Sony PVM which accepts RGB via BNC or 25pin connector. I have a custom made BNC to SCART RGB adapter. So a passive adapter doesn't do anything at all for me. It would have to be circuitry to take the S-Video signal and decode it to RGB.

ccovell
12-14-2012, 02:08 AM
wow, using a whole X-RGB2 just for outputting RGB is kind like killing an ant with a bazooka.
I bet there might be a CI that can do it people aren't just familiar with that.
How much one of those cost?

Well, of course, I already had an X-RGB2+ from before and just discovered this year it had a 15Khz mode. They usually cost $100 or more, so it doesn't make sense to buy one just for S-Vid decoding.

There are Comp/S-Vid to RGB ICs out there, which might be much cheaper, but you have to build the circuit yourself.

reprep
12-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I do not have a TV. I have a Sony PVM which accepts RGB via BNC or 25pin connector. I have a custom made BNC to SCART RGB adapter. So a passive adapter doesn't do anything at all for me. It would have to be circuitry to take the S-Video signal and decode it to RGB.

i see. in this case, it might be easier to RGB mod your N64. also PAL gamecubes are cheap. i didn't get the chance to try gamecube (i have a wii), but i compared SNES and N64, RGB and composite. the difference was amazing.

MottZilla
12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
While PAL Gamecubes might be cheap, they are not cheap to us in North America nor are they that easy to come across already on the continent.

Calpis
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
A XRGB is actually the most reasonable shot at this, standalone decoders are extremely uncommon since they're hard to implement and redundant to circuitry within every TV.