PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Auctions Japan and eBay team up

Cactusjack1999
12-07-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-12-04/yahoo-japan-ebay-link-online-auctions-across-borders

Could this mean the end of the "no foreigners" YJA assholes?

Could this mean the end of proxy bidding as a buisness

Could this mean I can finally get a 64DD for less than my bi-weekly paycheck?

We'll soon know

andoba
12-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Please, please!!!! O_O

EDIT: just though this, what if they put some "NO EVIR GAIJIN PREASE" message on they're auctions?

limey
12-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Could this mean I can finally get a 64DD for less than my bi-weekly paycheck?Not necessarily, as now you'll be facing extra buying competition from all those ebay users who didn't have access to Yahoo auctions...

wheelaa
12-07-2007, 01:08 AM
I hope its not just America as the article suggests.

Edit..

But Japanese people can and indeed do use ebay anyway, both buying and selling. Of course there may be language, payment issues etc but there isn't what can be and indeed is a strong aversion to simply dealing with foreigners (plenty of threads on these forums evidence it, both for westerners in the west and in japan!). So the benefit to the japanese will be minimal. Language can be translated, pictures have many tongues. Bank transfer is easy, no matter how small a grasp of the other language you have. An aversion to dealing with you is a deal breaker from the off.

Plus of course on ebay you can choose where you are happy to ship to. Presumably that would have to remain after the merger, for both yahoo sellers and ebay sellers. You can't force a japanese seller to ship to the US, France, wherever, unless he wants to. Unless they set up special ebay centres in japan where the yahoo sellers send the stuff to be forwarded on. So the benefit to ebay users could be minimal.

Reeks of further Ebay greed to me. They see all the jp sellers on ebay, and realise they could get more for themselves than the fees they skim.

But who's to say how it will turn out. If it comes good, happy days. But I have a sneaky feeling old prejudices may remain..and indeed be enforced when japanese people encounter the tidal wave of morons on ebay.

GaijinPunch
12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
This turned into a massive flame war (which I won!!!!!) at shmups.
Long story short...

Could this mean the end of the "no foreigners" YJA assholes?

No, considering there's like... only 2 of them on the whole site. Ebay will still have plenty of people that won't ship out of their country (USA, Europe, etc.) and Yahoo will still primarily be run with people that won't abroad.

This of course doesn't make mention of the obvious hurdes: language barrier and payment method (Paypal is nothing in Japan, and I don't see it gaining any momentum).

My guess is that there will be a check box (off by default) to cross-list your items on Ebay, just like there's a default box now to "ship internationally" which is also off by default.

tidal wave of morons on ebay.

This is of course, the biggest issue. Just go search in the Off Topic forum here for loads of non-language barrier related antics.

Yakumo
12-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I don't like it. I see the service going down in quality. Yahoo auctions is a fast and easy to use system with no pissing about with idiot sellers or buyers like on EBay. No fuckwits expecting you to answer a bloody question 1 hour before the auction ends and best of all almost 0% scamming.

I really can't see any good coming from this for those of us who live in Japan. Not a single thing. I can see the good points from those outside Japan but for us here it will mean having to check if the seller is Japanese because we all know that most westerners idea of mint means covered in shit and scratched to death. then we have people jacking up prices more than what we put up with already with the proxy bid services.

Like I said, I can see the good points for those out side Japan and if I was still in the UK I'd be over the moon but the fact is that I live in Japan and use Yahoo an awful lot. This may just fuck it all up for us here :( Still, like gaijinpunch said, I can see over 80% of Japanese still sticking to the Japan only sales because they just won't be arsed to use anything apart from Japanese methods of payment and most of all they don't want or more likely can't to speak English.

Yakumo

Japan-Games.com
12-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Well now that I've had some time to digest everything...heh.

I'm guessing that the English translation isn't 100% accurate when it says that they will be proxy services for the other. If I'm reading the information correctly it's just saying that items will be offered on both sites. Yahoo is setting up ways to help Japanese buyers understand payment and shipping overseas. They're also using a system to help translation. But it doesn't look like eBay/Yahoo will pay, send, and receive packages for a fee, which is what a proxy does. There's a big difference.

If it is a proxy then they'll charge a fee meaning they won't be any cheaper than Rinkya. If it isn't a proxy service, meaning Sellers can say no and opt out, then 98% of Japanese Sellers will opt out since that's what they do anyway. The ones who don't opt out will get US bidders, but since everyone in the US now has a shot at it you won't save much.

I'm guessing that both companies are focusing on fee generation from increased sales, but that's it. The writer of the article in the link probably doesn't really understand the nuances of buying and selling and is probably accidentally misrepresenting some things. It looks like they are just adding a search portal to the other site and not much else. I don't see anything where Yahoo and eBay would be willing to do much else, especailly assuming any extra risk, which is already something they refuse to do now.

ASSEMbler
12-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I'd say it's a very bad idea and will lead to widespread fraud and distrust
of any foreign sellers.

Remember, ebay aleady failed miserably once in Japan.

This is akin to me shipping to nigera, sure I could do it, but do I? No.
Same for Japan. A few sellers will sell, but the majority will
avoid such problematic enounters.

If anything, it's a death knell for Yahoo JP which has seen declining sales for years.

andoba
12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
This is akin to me shipping to nigera, sure I could do it, but do I? No.
Same for Japan. A few sellers will sell, but the majority will
avoid such problematic enounters.

Why not? There're many japanese sellers in eBay that work really fine, the only problem is the language + the payment method.

wheelaa
12-07-2007, 04:59 PM
But those are by and large the sellers that have chosen to make a (big) business, buy in japan for the purpose of selling on ebay for profit. Your average yahoo seller who sells a few unwanted things here and there can't be arsed to get everything set up for what might be the occasional deal outside japan.

GaijinPunch
12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Yahoo JP which has seen declining sales for years.

Source of this? They are for the most part, still umatched. They have no competitor. Shit... they didn't even start charging until 2003 I think it was. Anyway, well said. I think you hit the nail on the head for the most part.

ASSEMbler
12-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Perhaps not the best way to word what I was thinking.

Auction volume with sales versus auction volume
not resulting in a sale.

GaijinPunch
12-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I read the Japanese press release. It actually *DOES* say that there will be "an agent site which will allow members of one country to bid on and win auctions on the other". It really doesn't say anything about the shipping. Think about it though, a proxy service isn't really something you can do on a huge scale like that. It's a fucking MESS... packages are all different sizes, you have to store them. I guess they could do it, but it seems like a ton of risk to me, for little reward. The smarter plan is to somehow get Japanese people to ship abroad (if you dig around here, I said this ages ago). Of course, they don't.

The other thing is, could the two sites do it affordably? It would cost something, and the proxy services (minus Rinkya) aren't taking a whole hell of a lot of dough for the work involved. I think the one advantage they would have is they both have big banks, so could probably exchange foreign currencies cheaper than the other guys. Again, they probably wouldn't though.

Finally: If this is indeed a true proxy... you guys in Europe w/ these 10kg 1,000 yen gifts will be in for a world of hurt. :)

wheelaa
12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Actually my last package was 11kg, $40. No joke!

GaijinPunch
12-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Haha... shipping around $200, I assume? Definitely wouldn't mind getting your business.

My record was last week... 19kg. Nice stuff, too!

Japan-Games.com
12-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah I was thinking about it myself today. In the end it really can't be much more than a translation site. Anything more than that then you start to branch out into a lot of problems that eBay won't be able to solve.

Some off the top of my head....

Feedback - Will there be two accounts? One eBay and one Yahoo? If I buy on eBay and want to neg does it go on the Seller's Yahoo account?

Questions - You bought something on eBay from Yahoo Auctions. You paid. It's been 2 weeks. It hasn't arrived. Will eBay/Yahoo offer any assistance? Or will they pretty much throw you to the wolves once their fee has been created?

I block non-paying bidders on my auctions. How will that work? Will the Yahoo bidders be banned?

Disputes? Japanese buyers and sellers will be able to handle disputes between American buyers and sellers?

I can't use my .com name on eBay, but I can splash it on every page in Yahoo. Will those listings be shown to America buyers? Can I get around any eBay listing rule just by back dooring the item through Yahoo?

Payments - Yahoo protects Sellers, eBay protects Buyers. If there is some kind of chargeback will they take the money out of the Japanese person's account? And you think they'll give that kind of control up?

Obviously they can't integrate every option or problem but they do have to do enough to make the process work. Personally, I think it's going to be a mess. They think they can somehow control the buying/selling process, which they can't.

wheelaa
12-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Haha... shipping around $200, I assume? Definitely wouldn't mind getting your business.

My record was last week... 19kg. Nice stuff, too!

$170. All primo stuff..sealed rare promos, marty sealed, splatt lcd :).

Valid points JG. Its just more Ebay greed. Yahoo does alright by itself, doesn't it? Does yahoo auctions need a shot in the arm like this? Our jp based members seem to be saying no..?

GaijinPunch
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I doubt any company would walk away from more money. I think YJ sees it as a way to boost sales, and perhaps make some of their users happy in the case they want to buy stuff from abroad. The whole payments thing is going to be dodgy. It should be a nice kick in the nuts when the rest of the world sees what a pile of shit Paypal is.

Japan-Games.com
12-09-2007, 05:01 AM
It should be a nice kick in the nuts when the rest of the world sees what a pile of shit Paypal is.

That was another thought I had. Are they going to explain how international sales work, and that you aren't covered unless you have a tracking number? As of now I think most Sellers aren't aware of that, especially the ones who write "I'm not responsible for packages that don't have tracking." While eBay/Paypal are helping and explaining the process to the Sellers will they be covering that info, too? If so it's going to open up a lot of eyes about PayPal.

GaijinPunch
12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
If it abolished (or makes Paypal less ball-sucky) then it could very well be a good thing. It won't though. Paypal has a strangle-hold on the US market, just like bank xfers have a strangle hold here. The only thing Paypal Japan is good for is buying shit in America, or having a cheap merchant account. If this proxy site indeed does proxy, they're going to have to take the shitty Paypal risk everyone else takes. Oh, sweet justice that would be for them to get fucked at their own game. But, I somehow think nobody's going to win any claims against them.

opethfan
12-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh man, I can just imagine the gouging on shipping prices. Even just across the big ol' border in North America they double the price (paid $6.00 for a game shipping, USPS sticker said $2.55), so if any Japanese sellers are willing to sell to foreigners with or without a language barrier, I can see shipping prices being HUGE.

1080Peter
12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh man, I can just imagine the gouging on shipping prices. Even just across the big ol' border in North America they double the price (paid $6.00 for a game shipping, USPS sticker said $2.55), so if any Japanese sellers are willing to sell to foreigners with or without a language barrier, I can see shipping prices being HUGE.
I typically add $2.50-3.00 to shipping to cover packaging and to make fee considerations easier. I even add a little more.. like .25-.50 if it's an international order. I use USPS First Class INT'l and cannot purchase that postage online for destinations outside the U.S., so I have to go to the post office, fill out the customs form there, wait in line, pay and drop off. While this may not be strange to some of you here, it's more time spent on something that I can normally do all from my desk. I still don't gouge, though.

Otherwise, I would just price the items a bit higher and go with the barebones shipping price, which is what I used to do.

(Almost all of my eBay auctions are Buy It Now if it matters.)

GaijinPunch
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Japanese custom is to charge *EXACTLY* what you pay at the post office though. This will likely be one of those things that piss off people here. I'm pretty good about it. I basically charge 100 yen to the dollar to cover my packaging fees, even though I repackage loads of stuff (I use new packaging for loads of stuff as well, but this way, I spread the cost across for stuff I don't). I think it's pretty fair considering the double to triple the postage price people payin the US.